TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Rear end height
cmcg Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:07 pm

So I lowered the front - no problem...
Got 2 guys in and when for a ride. Quickly realized the rear tire rubs. Did some measuring and it looks like passenger side rear is one inch lower. Any suggestions on where to start the repair? I need to lift the pass side up 1 inch.

one4house Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:10 pm

Start here.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68736

The top few topics are about lowering.

flyinglow94 Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:20 pm

All type 3's that I have had have been very close to rubbing on the left side and will rub with the American racing Rivera or 8 spoke wheels, like the wheels that are on your car. The offset is wrong for the car. You need an angle finder when you are lowering the rear of the car to first check if the car is level at the threshold plates then to check the angle on the spring plates and then repeat on the other side. You can finde an angle finder App if you have a smart phone.You also can get some sag from the worn bushings on the spring plate.

Bobnotch Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:48 am

cmcg wrote: So I lowered the front - no problem...
Got 2 guys in and when for a ride. Quickly realized the rear tire rubs. Did some measuring and it looks like passenger side rear is one inch lower. Any suggestions on where to start the repair? I need to lift the pass side up 1 inch.

You'll need an angle finder to fix it (either an app on your phone, or 1 from Harbour Freight, Sears, Ace Hardware, Lowes, Home Depot). You're going to need to do a combination move (both an inner spline, and an outer spline). What I mean by this, is you'll turn the inner counter clockwise something like 3 splines, and then set the outer 1 splines clockwise, so that you're really just moving 1 spline (it seems), but in reality, you're moving both ends several degrees to get the sides even. When I first did my 71 Notch, I just dropped the outers 2 splines, only to find out my right rear was 1 inch lower (due to torsion bar sag mostly). I then took that side apart, and moved the inners and outers to get it even, only to road test it, and find I needed to come up a little (was rubbing the tire on the top inner fender arch on both sides due mostly to the rims I had on the car). This ment both sides needed to come up a 1/2 inch. So I took a reference degree reading (with it all unloaded), and did another combo move. The left side got it in place quickly, but the right side didn't fall in as quick, and needed another inner spline to get it on the money. Note; This is mostly a trial and error kind of thing, as you might end up going lower than you want, and find out you need to move the inners and outers the other direction. BTDT before. :oops:

cmcg Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:30 pm

Thanks for the help ! once it warms up ill take it apart...

Nate M. Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:20 pm

An angle finder will get you close, but IMHO nothing beats installing adjustable spring plates when your are doing this to ensure you can make fine adjustments later. This only adds about $100 in parts but ensures that you NEVER have to go through taking it all apart ever again.

Lots of cars out there have torsion springs that have either been damaged by hitting potholes or just from age and now they have more sag (well, just like your car) on one side or the other. Adjustable spring plates allow you to make very fine adjustments. Something else to consider. . .

Bobnotch Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:08 am

Nate M. wrote: An angle finder will get you close, but IMHO nothing beats installing adjustable spring plates when your are doing this to ensure you can make fine adjustments later. This only adds about $100 in parts but ensures that you NEVER have to go through taking it all apart ever again.

Lots of cars out there have torsion springs that have either been damaged by hitting potholes or just from age and now they have more sag (well, just like your car) on one side or the other. Adjustable spring plates allow you to make very fine adjustments. Something else to consider. . .

Keep in mind that type 3s with IRS have double spring plates, so you might have to change the torsion bars IF you go to adjustable spring plates. :shock:

68notch Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:02 am

Can you recommend a supplier for adj spring plates to suit swing axle type 3?

Nate M. wrote: An angle finder will get you close, but IMHO nothing beats installing adjustable spring plates when your are doing this to ensure you can make fine adjustments later. This only adds about $100 in parts but ensures that you NEVER have to go through taking it all apart ever again.