TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1969 Baja Lift - Need Reassurance before buying parts
Barry_mann Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:04 pm

I have a 1969 Baja with IRS rear and Ball joint front end. I am slowly fixing this car up to be my work car and for occasional mild off road trips. I have been wanting to do a lift since i got it, but now that it is getting very close to being rode worthy. I need to replace the tires and dont want to do it twice.

I am on a very tight budget, but will leave the car in the garage and save up if need be.

I would like to get 3" .... but would love 5" of lift.

This is what i think i will need. Please correct me if i am wrong.

- Re-index the rear end. From my reading, i should be able to get 3" without buying anything.... right?

- Install 3" lift spindles in the front. I thought about installing adjusters and doing it that way. But honestly, i suck at welding and a bit scared of removing the front beam.

Is there anything i am missing or didnt think of?

If anyone i9s selling any used lift parts, please pm me.

BUGGUTZ Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:18 pm

If you want to do it right and make it reliable start saving your pennys. You may get 3" by indexing but your cv's may not like it and if they do you will have to baby the car and thats no fun. Read through some build threads, find a stance you like and see how they did it.

I started like you are saying and was never satisfied. Joints were binding, car didnt sit right and it bothered me. I did trailing arms, every cv type up to 930's. I cut and turned and spindles. It can be aggrivating. Do it once and do it right.

Thats just my opinion, you will get more im sure.

Barry_mann Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:30 pm

I agree with you. I am on a budget, but rather save my pennies and let it sit in my garage until i can get the stuff to do it right..

My main problem is, i dont know "what is right". I have read tons of build threads and it seems like most of them are completely different. Some re-index and it works out great. Some spend big bucks and they hate there system....

My main reason for putting this next on my list is the tire issue. Right now my tires are so dry rotted, i am scared to leave the area. Currently, i have very wide wheels and a new set of tires would be rather expensive. as soon as i lift it, i will buy much bigger tires. i dont want to buy tires, do a lift in 6 months and buy new tires again.

vwracin2win Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:16 pm

It depends what you want out of the car. If you don't notch the spring plates your cv's will be just fine because it's still in the stock travel range. Done many many like this. And the lift spindles is a good way to achieve what you want to do because it won't over extend the ball joints. Or you can go the the thing conversion but I have never done that. But have heard good things. I say if that's what you want to buy to get what you want out of it . Go for it and go have fun with it! Trust me it's no fun staring at a car in the garage

Barry_mann Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:38 pm

Definatley isnt fun staring at a car in the garage. I stared at this car for 11 months waiting on my stroker to be done.

The only thing keeping her off the road right now is tires, electrical gremlin and insurance. Of course there is a ton on the wants list...... this lift is kinda holding up both sides. :lol:

I keeping getting and reading multiple different avenues. Just kinda stuck on what to do, but really need to get this thing on the road.

BUGGUTZ Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:58 pm

Go for the lift spindles and index the rear. That should get you a decent tire size for the time being. I feel ya not wanting to have the car sit. Got any pics of what your working with?

joemama Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:52 am

I say reindex the rear and use lift spindles up front. Might not let you get monster tires, but keeping the tires a little smaller will keep your trans a little happier.

Brian Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:04 am

When you re-index the back, pay attention to how high you go before stressing the CVS. I have broken a couple by not upgrading the CVs for more travel just from having a lifted rear.

You should still be able to get monster tires with stock suspension and some rubbing. 235/75/15s around or 215/70/15 in the front. I currently only have a lift in the rear and 215/70 works in the front with no rubbing. I would say you could keep them on there for the entire time, even without the lift.

Get lift spindles from tweeds or a well known shop. I bought EMPI and this happened:

Nectar1 Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:16 am

I'm running some 205/70/15's on my full fender car without rubbing. Plenty of ground clearance for most hard pan. Indexed the rear 1 click, adjusters in the front. They're some basic Goodyear tires that I bought for $100.00. Turned out alright. Bilsteins all around help too.

Travel is relative to what you're driving intentions will be. Regardless of travel, I don't tend to aim for obstacles.

Brian Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:47 pm

Nectar1 wrote: I don't tend to aim for obstacles.

It saddens me watching cars have to crawl over speed bumps.

Mal evolent Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:00 pm

Quote: It saddens me watching cars have to crawl over speed bumps.

The wizards at Midas who fabricated my Mustang exhaust put the flanges vertically. On a car that lets you identify the brand of a pack of cigarettes by driving over it. SCRUNCH RUMBLE RUMBLE back to Midas to have yet another gasket and bolt replaced... they don't charge for it.