TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1962 Panel Van in Madeira island - Portugal Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
HUGO bOSS Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:22 pm

Hello. My name's Hugo Pereira and I live in Madeira island, in Portugal.
I'm 36 now, and I'm in VWs since my 14 years old, when i bought a 1974 South African Panel Bay... It was totally rusted... :cry:
For several years, me and several friends try to restore her, but 5 years latter, she was send to the junkyard... :evil:

When I was 18, take my license drive and bought an 1970 1302 beetle... Drive for about two years, and then I restored him. The welding and final paint were done by the "profissionals", but all the rest was made by me and sometimes with help of friends...
He was ready for my wedding in 2003, and in 2007, me and several members of our local club (Clube Carocha da Madeira), were I'm the Treasurer, put 8 cars in a cargo boat and drive them to Wolfsburg, they "fatherland". 7 beetles and 1 fastback... It was a fantastic adventure (but that it's another story :bom: ).

When we return, I started to look for a van... The family was growing up (the first doughter had allready 3 months) and the 1302 was my only air cooled VW, and I was missing my bay also... 8)

I found a 1976 2000cc Fuel inection, USA spec, in the first owner. He was an ex-emigrant that return to Madeira with her. All original, expect for a bad outside respray, she still have all the upholstery, roof, carpets and door cards in 100% shape. I bought her in a partnership with my father in law... He was my "co-pilot" in the WOB cruise... Just to see and re-visit several places... He never dream that it will infected by the VW virus! :lol:

Well, in February of 2009, when visit a local junkyard, we (re)discovered a 1962 Panel Split... 8O Then, my father in law said that it was a hame that she stays there, waitting for death... and the story begins...

HUGO bOSS Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:23 pm

She was there since the late 90's...

This are pics from 2004:

And this ones when we go there to rescue in July of 2009:

HUGO bOSS Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:23 pm

She's one of only 6 existing Splits in Madeira island. Only one is restored now, and in driving conditions. The others are waiting to be restored... 3 of them are panels, and "Maria das Dores" (Mary of Pains) is one of them.

The chosen name is because her letters in the driving plate, and to the "real pains" that she have! :lol:

HUGO bOSS Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:24 pm

The guy of the trailler ask us if we took the medication in that day! :lol:

Several injuries of the years...

Many missing metal parts... :(

HUGO bOSS Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:24 pm

In the past, she was of a local garage that repaired VWs and Mercedes.
One of the partners use her to camping... and made a home furniture... :? A terrible job, with several holes caused by a bad wellding.

The brakes were stucked...

Headaches...

HUGO bOSS Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:25 pm

The place were they hide the grass! :)

Missing cap...
Rust and more rust...

well, the enginne is still there... :roll:

Home, please!!

HUGO bOSS Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:25 pm

Big style!

Arriving in the new home, were she will sleep under a roof... more than a decade outside...

Looking for more acts of vandalism...

HUGO bOSS Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:26 pm

47 years at the time...

Some missings...

Some idiot put the spare in the front with a pice of metal of a boat--- 8O

It will go to the correct place...

HUGO bOSS Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:27 pm

The key is missing... :?

Wrong gauge :(

Correct speedometer...

HUGO bOSS Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:27 pm

Like this one...

Please note the Mini blinker... :roll:

HUGO bOSS Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:28 pm

The two ladies taking a long conversation in the first night together! :cheers:

HUGO bOSS Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:28 pm

It will be in my memorie this look:

A scared and wounded girl thinking in what it would happen to her...

HUGO bOSS Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:29 pm

Removing some of the isolation that was glued in the roof... :(

2 full bags and several hours latter...

:roll:

Extra ventilation:twisted:

Removing old and broken parts...

Just water and an old rag doing miracles...

novetti Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:15 pm

Muito legal! Uma split na Madeira...

Depois que terminar o servico, um bom teste para o propulsor e os freios sera subir e descer o Cabo Girao a salvo nao?

Abracos e boa sorte do alem mar

Julio

HUGO bOSS Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:15 am

novetti wrote: Muito legal! Uma split na Madeira...

Depois que terminar o servico, um bom teste para o propulsor e os freios sera subir e descer o Cabo Girao a salvo nao?

Abracos e boa sorte do alem mar

Julio

:D Umas palavras em português... :D E pelos vistos de alguém que já visitou a Madeira!
A ideia é restaurá-la... ainda tenho muita mais fotos para colocar... Neste momento o projecto está parado devido a um restauro a um VW 181 que estou a realizar (tenho o link por baixo dos meus posts).

Abraço para esse lado do Mundo.

HUGO bOSS Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:22 am

And the parts start to arrived...

Well, I allways wished to now how it will lok inside a horn button... :lol:

Just clean and hidrated...

HUGO bOSS Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:22 am

And some new parts from the States... :)

Church key... :D

HUGO bOSS Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:23 am

Let's talk about serious work now... :D

Removed doors...

This ones are going to a new front...