TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1991 Vanagon won't idle
Dgmaddux Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:47 pm

My 1991 vanagon won't idle. It start ok but then dies. I if start again it dies. I have replaced the coil, spark wires, fuel pump, the o2 Spenser, and the coolant temp sensor. What else can I do!

m_brown_ Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:13 pm

More info is needed to help you. Was the van previously running? Was any major work done? What have you tested or are you just throwing parts at it? Check for vacuum leaks.

vanonimous Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:28 pm

Maybe most important information needed would be when did it start not idling? What preceded that symptom directly? Did someone tune it up? Put full tank of gas? Was it raining heavily? Just changed battery? Etc..

jptech Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:50 am

It sounds like a vacuum (unmetered air) leak. Check EVERYTHING on the air inlet side of the engine plus the AFM multi-plug and the Vanagon syndrome harness.

John

Dgmaddux Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:30 pm

vanonimous wrote: Maybe most important information needed would be when did it start not idling? What preceded that symptom directly? Did someone tune it up? Put full tank of gas? Was it raining heavily? Just changed battery? Etc.. the van had been running well until the wx turned cold.

Dgmaddux Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:32 pm

Tested for air leaks with a smoke machine. None found.

nmerrill Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:42 am

It's been a while since I had a WBXer, but doesn't it have an Idle air solenoid/valve?
These control idle by bypassing the throttle body with an ECU controlled valve.

morymob Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:26 am

U changed temp temp sensor?? was it one with a single wire?? if so it has NO effect on eng running, the temp-2 sensor, one with sq plug will cause the prob, they get so temp range in this cold won't control correctly the fuel by the ecu,it's only a variable resister(changed by temp)causing a voltage change in ecu in turn controlling fuel. U can just plug in new one to test your problem without actually installing, but as eng warms up will keep in a fast idle mode until u do install it.Bently shows resistance ushould ger 4 your temp, 1st make sure plug conn to sender is clean & good.Mentioned above, idle sol, should hum, feel it and they do stick, pinch hose and see if it changes, usually a shot of cleaner in the end frees it up.

Dgmaddux Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:23 pm

The temp 2 sensor was replaced.

transanalog Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:06 am

I am having the exact same problem. ---> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=609207

Did you ever figure it out? I just ordered a new muffler (might be clogged) and O2 sensor because why not?

Mike

Rodknock Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:03 pm

Find someone with a known good ICU (located behind the passenger side tail light) and swap it in. When my ICU gave up the ghost I stopped by a local shop and they gave me a pile of them to try out. Each one behaved differently. Some idled high, some not at all, some varied all over the place. The ICU can exhibit all kinds of problems. Get a known good one and try it.