TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: looking for VW shop near duluth
jonwhite Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:44 pm

Hi, I'm jon and this is my first post on the samba. My daily driver is a fiberglass dune buggy and I am currently living in Duluth, Minnesota. I recently made the drive from the canadian border to Duluth which should have been a 3 hour drive. Due to an oil leak and the -20 lows the trip took me three days. The 1966 beetle engine started leaking oil while I was on the end of a wilderness road that leads up towards the border. I made it back to civilization by dumping everything I had with me into the oil filler. Eventually I had to use gear oil to make it the last 10 miles. I finally got the buggy back to Duluth but I have no heated shop and I can't imagine working on the oily engine in these cold temps. We got down to -30 this week. So now I'm wondering if anyone out there knows of a shop or "VW guy" in the Duluth, mn area that I can take the buggy to. I am half an hour north of Duluth in a small town called cotton. Thanks for your help.

kirbyland Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:14 pm

Jon you are one crazy SOB! I used to live in Duluth- there was a guy up by Lester Park- just a VW guy- not a shop. But that was in 1988- he help me with my Ghia. Someone local might know him-Sorry- thats all I got-