TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 2001 Mazzone Mid Travel 2332 aluminum sand rail value???
tattooflashmaster Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:33 am

Im looking at buying a Mazzone
VW Volkswagen SANDRAIL, SAND CAR, BUGGY, RAIL 2332 VW engine 170 HP and over 200 HP with NOS Type 1 Transaxle Custom Geared Slipper Ring & Pinion PBS Mid Engine Cable Shifter Mazzone Aluminum Frame Fox 2.0 Mid Travel front Air Shocks New Paddles

Whats this thing worth

Im clueless

rgonzales12463 Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:37 am

I own one of these that I bought not running in 2008.
I found one for sale back then set up like yours and
the asking price was 13500.00

Island Bumpkin Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:51 pm

Pictures are worth a thousand words. If you can post up the ad/pictures, we can better help you

takotruckin Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:48 pm

The real question is what does it weigh?? :lol:

spize909 Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:36 pm

I guarantee that it don't weigh much.
From what it sounds like, I'd value that car at no more then 6 grand in this market.

cupcake Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:08 pm

Aluminum chassis? I've never seen one nor would I ever ride in one.

SamT Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:01 pm

Aluminum chassis is awesome, stronger than steel actually, but they fatigue with use so beware of cracks!

tattooflashmaster Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:27 pm

This sand rail is up for sale on craigslist springfield or joplin mo. If any of you could search that you'll find it quick. It's pretty clean overall but I'd rather get real opinions from the pros. I heard it run and it sounds killer. I know of only one thing that will need to be fixed and that would be a driver rear brake cyl. I know these units are suceptable when it comes to fatigue at the bolted joint welds. I am more likely gonna street legal it so I'm not too scared of the aluminum.
Here's the link and thank you all so much for your help.

http://springfield.craigslist.org/sno/4234867539.html

BUGGUTZ Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:49 pm

Are those air shocks up front?

yummi Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:26 pm

Unless you are very good at welding, I would pass.

tattooflashmaster Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:55 pm

Yeah those are air shocks and I've seen them on an identical unit online. Don't know much about that kind of front suspension though but I guess its factory from mazzone. One thing I can say is that aluminum is thick walled from my visual inspection.

spize909 Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:21 pm

yummi wrote: Unless you are very good at welding, I would pass.

This ^^^
I have a friend that use to own an aluminum J and J car and he said they welded it up after every trip. That was strictly a dune car which is not terribly hard on cars if you are mindful of your driving....he may not have been, I don't know as I never duned with him.

Here's a bunch more opinions.....
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=142801

tattooflashmaster Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:11 am

Thanks guys I appreciate all the great help and info. I am really not sure at this point what the state of mo laws are for street legal rails cuz that is basically the whole purpose for this ride. I have a great friend that has been welding professionally for about 30yrs and no doubt I will have additional gussets put in upon his advice. Thanks again to all.

cupcake Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:44 pm

SamT wrote: Aluminum chassis is awesome, stronger than steel actually, but they fatigue with use so beware of cracks!
Stronger than steel. Um no, not in anyway, ever. It's just light. And yes its prone to cracking in that use. But besides the constant maintenance (welding) you have to ask. Would you want to be in it in a crash? The whole reason there is a cage at all! Then ask why NO sanctioning bodies in the world from go carts to offroad to stock to etc... Allows aluminum chassis?

SamT Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:58 pm

cupcake wrote: SamT wrote: Aluminum chassis is awesome, stronger than steel actually, but they fatigue with use so beware of cracks!
Stronger than steel. Um no, not in anyway, ever. It's just light. And yes its prone to cracking in that use. But besides the constant maintenance (welding) you have to ask. Would you want to be in it in a crash? The whole reason there is a cage at all! Then ask why NO sanctioning bodies in the world from go carts to offroad to stock to etc... Allows aluminum chassis?

Depends what we are comparing, mazzone aluminum sandcar, if we compare to the same car built from .095 electric weld tube, the aluminum wins. Compare to some good DOM tube or aluminum of similar thickness the steel easily wins.
Nascar, ect doesnt use it because when you exceed the limits, steel bends and you have hopefully a few buffer inches before your skull crushes. Aluminum snaps when you exceed its limits.
Its also impossible to tech inspect an aluminum chassis because specific alloys, thickness, complex chassis design, heat treating after welding, ect all come into play.