TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Getting new brake rotors off front spindles.
svs Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:43 pm

I have a rebuilt beam with new disk brakes. I'm trying to remove them before installing the beam and I just can't seem to get them off. Never had disk brakes on my bug and don't want to hammer on what's new.. Until I get some feedback... The outer bearings popped out and the disk moved half an inch and that's it....

Any help appreciated..

BUGGUTZ Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:01 pm

Mabe just a crazy tight seal? Shouldnt be anything holding it once the nut, washer and bearing are out. Whack the backside with a rubber or deadblow mallet.

svs Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:13 pm

BUGGUTZ wrote: Mabe just a crazy tight seal? Shouldnt be anything holding it once the nut, washer and bearing are out. Whack the backside with a rubber or deadblow mallet.

It's a brand new seal.. It's a brand new kit. I was banging on the inside of the rotor hard and it didn't come off..

I stopped and posted cuz I don't want to keep banging and brake something.

Will the seal be damaged taking the rotor off. The bearing is under the seal and will stay with the rotor... I think it's the inside of bearing, female, is hanging up on the spindle... It was a real tight when I tried to slip it on the spindle, I had a shop assemble it since they had to rebuild the Beam.

KrAzY-BaJa Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:16 pm

if you keep tapping on it at somepoint the seal and bearing will stay on the shaft (if the bearing is stuck) and the hub will come off, then youll just have to make up a puller or something to get the bearing off

svs Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:57 pm

Friend came over and we looked at it and thought it best to install the beam with the rotors.. Will be easier to do that than disassembling what's already there..

Get some extra sets of hands to steady the weight... The old drums came off easy.. This is an AC Industries front disk wide 5 kit.

BUGGUTZ Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:21 am

Brand new seal=tight fit. Installed by pros=leave it alone.

svs Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:01 am

BUGGUTZ wrote: Brand new seal=tight fit. Installed by pros=leave it alone.

Agreed-- I might have popped the spring on the seal trying to get the rotors off... shit happens..

BUGGUTZ Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:58 pm

A loaded beam is silly heavy. Did you get it on?

svs Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:36 pm

BUGGUTZ wrote: A loaded beam is silly heavy. Did you get it on?

I just got back form Tacos and beer... :D man must have his priorities..

Tomorrow or Thursday is the plan as I lined up a couple friends who said they'd offer help...I think I need people on the ends to balance it, without that I think it'll fall at least once..

Looks to good to scratch..till I get off-road..

svs Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:32 pm

Got it on

BUGGUTZ Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:31 pm

Looks like a fit! Was it difficult?

svs Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:56 pm

BUGGUTZ wrote: Looks like a fit! Was it difficult?

The Steering Box (used the beefier early box) was the problem... Damn thing. My Roll Cage goes to the tubes so we had to keep messing with the Box rotating it to get clearance around the brackets... Got it mounted up and the box spun on the beam and we had to take the beam off to get the box aligned again...

All worked out... Now gotta re-assemble and get'er runnin. Thanks for you feedback.