TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1970 fasty turn signals for older style?
tatzandrodz Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:01 am

Can 1970 fastback turn signals and taillight a be replace to the older style ones like 68-69 also what about the chrome on the nose? Thanks

ronbug73 Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:36 am

i think you can replace the rear fenders with the 68-69 :)

GjMan Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:51 am

Yes, you can mount early turn signals to late fenders. But you'll need to weld a patch on that big hole in the late fender first. As to early trim on a late hood, I'm sure you could do it with enough work.

KTPhil Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:03 am

A late square was modified with:
- early rear fenders w/taillights
- early bumpers
- early bullet turn signals on modified stock late front fenders
Still had the shark hood. This resulted in a surprisingly clean and older look.

You can't fit an old hood, or even the trim from it-- the curve is different. I had a thick door trim in the leading edge of my late hood for a while... sort of gave that same look and seemed to fit the stock side trim. But after my restoration, I left it off.

tatzandrodz Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:13 am

No the bullets or the big elephant ones I have seen ones that are slimmer with clear plastic and chrome still sane kind of shape as 70

GjMan Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:20 pm

You're talking about the 66-67 small wrap-arounds? Same deal. Weld up the big hole and cut a small one for the earlies.

Banjoben Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:42 am

I put the bullets on my 70. I like the look a LOT more than those giant wrap-arounds. My front fenders are actually fiber-glass. Don't ask where they came from, they were on the car when I got it. So I had to fill in the big holes, and the screw holes out around the corners. I took off the front bumper too, so I filled in the divots for the ends of the bumper, and the holes for the bumper brackets. I still need to do something with the holes for the crash tube.

Watkins Glen Vintage GP 2013 004 by banjoben42, on Flickr

GjMan Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:10 am

Yes, I'm a big fan of those bullets rather than the early small wrap-arounds. Easier installation, too, I would imagine. And easier to find lenses and seals.

J.C. Whitney used to sell those fenders. But that was a while ago.

Bobnotch Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:32 am

Banjoben wrote: I still need to do something with the holes for the crash tube.

You could always install a set of fog lights in the holes. :wink:

Banjoben Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:45 am

Bobnotch wrote: Banjoben wrote: I still need to do something with the holes for the crash tube.

You could always install a set of fog lights in the holes. :wink:
Yea, I was thinking that, or possibly putting some grilles over them, like on the older Bugs. I have access to a waterjet machine, so it wouldn't be hard to do.
But some fog lights or driving lights would be pretty cool!

TL Jer Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:34 pm

I always thought it was curious that the '68-'69 cars with the bullets have an older look than the '66-'67s with wraparounds. I'm tempted to put bullets on my '66, as well as early lower-profile taillight lenses. I like the look, and it might sow some confusion in my wake. :twisted:

ataraxia Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:27 pm

Bullet lenses up front were 62-63, 64-65 on N models, 68-69
Wrap lenses up front were 64-65 on S models and all 66-67's

catbox Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:23 am

I like the mod on the white one with the bullet turn signals.
Since my car is not pure at all, that one may make it onto the car...

J.Glo Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:58 am

did you just get the fasty from Ohio?