TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Has anyone used the ISP West Squareback fender beading
Multi69s Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:23 pm

My SB paint job is just about done so now I am considering what fender beading to go with. Last time I used universal beading and it came out looking good, but it was a lot of work. Is the ISP beading worth the extra money? Does it really fit well? Does it harden or fade?

Just want to get some feelings

KTPhil Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:51 pm

I take it that by "universal" you mean the round beading like for a Bug fender, rather than the original profile with a more flush profile?

I don't know how they last, but I prefer the original profile. Can't tell unless you are up close, though.

I know a car driven by one of the ISP West owners has lasted for years on his square, original profile in black.

Comandanteche Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:12 pm

Ive had the beading on my car for a few months now and it only comes in black unless you paint it. It comes in 3 pieces per side I believe 6 pieces total. Its a straight roll of fender beading and you will have to cut it to shape it and fit as it does not just fit out of the package. If you take your time and if you have some of the OG fender beading to help you trip this kit you can make it look pretty nice.

Multi69s Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:20 am

The reason why I asked is that my SB is being painted by the auto body students at the college that I work at. When they painted it the first time, I put the fenders on myself and just used generic fender beading. It looked good, but was a lot of work. However, The first paint job only lasted about 5 years. Out here in CA we had to switch over to water based paint, and my SB got the initial formulations and didn't last ($%^&*&% lefty state of CA).

So now, I am thinking about letting the students rehang the fenders and if SB specific fender beading will make it easier for them. Part of me wants to do it myself, but I am in the middle of building a dune buggy and two projects at once is not good. However, the other part of me says hang them yourself and make sure they are right.

So, should I get the SB specific fender beading (any brand) and should I let the students hang the fenders?

ALLWAGONS Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:05 pm

There's nothing better than NOS, I remember seen repro beading with the correct contour, but only in black. I am not sure how the ISP beading fits, but they always carry the best available when possible.