TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: new to site vw baja project
cjward22 Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:47 pm

hello everyone this isn't my first time with vw's I had a sweet VW rabbit 4 door diesel a couple years ago and I sold it to financial problems. but im back again with a new fun toy. so I got it as a plain bodied Baja but put a couple things I had around on it what dose everyone think? I just have a couple questions on a motor and some wiring that I cant find on other forms.

I loved that rabbit tho.

BUGGUTZ Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:28 am

That Rabbit is cool, but that Willys is cooler! I dig the BAJA!!

cjward22 Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:25 pm

haha the willys is been a lot of fun too. its a 78 ram charger frame, motor, running gear with the willys body on it. got to love a good mopar motor! I got a couple questions maby you can help me with on some wiring in the trunk and on the fuse panel is their a good diagram for the fuse panel and harness to the headlights. the owner before hand has some hot wires just pulled out of the harness just dangling like a dum ass. but they look factory plugs. its in the middle of the tank a red wire so obveisly power!

Island Bumpkin Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:57 pm

Fellow Washintonian! That weather is all to familiar isn't it?

Not a bad looking rig. I personally don't like bug eye kits, but thats just me :wink:

What year is the bug? There are different wiring diagrams for the different years. Since it has the window vents, I can guess it's a 72 or newer

-Jameson

cjward22 Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:25 pm

haha gotta love the weather up here! its the main factor in getting this dam wiring flawless so I can figure out a heater! but my title says its a 70 I haven't looked into the body give aways yet but that could be why I cant find anything out about some of the wiring. I do know it has a 72 super beetle motor in it I pulled the engine code and looked that part up so I could get a couple of the fun bits off the to do list.

cjward22 Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:40 pm

so went snow boarding last night on some back country up at crystal mountain and relized it was to dark so today im fixing that. also in the last couple days got rid of those stuiped trailer lights now its looking better.

also iv read that a filter between the pump and carb is bad news has anyone experimented with putting an electric pump and filter pre exsisting pump? we do it on our wheelers to help with vapor lock dose this ever happen with the aircooled getting so warm?

BUGGUTZ Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:31 pm

Yeah, lose that filter. Put it under the tank. Get a vw manual. They cover all the wiring or go to the technical section up there in the right corner. you can find them there as well.

cjward22 Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:32 pm

Cool thank you for the help on the wiring. So really my only question left is on a heater. I need a heater is their a descent electric heater out their or some other options? What's gonna be the easiest and best option?

qwerty8669 Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:44 pm

your only real options is gas heater or Stock heater boxes. Stock heat does well here in Kentucky. I drive mine at night since I work 3rd shift so I have to deal with the nightly lows. The biggest issue I have is my Baja is a little drafty..... :shock:

I printed the wiring diagram from here off at staples at poster size and pinned it to the wall for easy reference and being able to write notes since the previous owner had changed some wiring.

Only thing missing from your rig is a winch ..... Mine is a harbor freight 5000Lbs and has come in handy a bunch of times. But only one to pull me out.

cjward22 Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:03 pm

Cool thanks I'll have to look into the gas heater its 35 at night around her and maby 45 during the day but that's not at the mountain! Good idea on the diagram that's a dam good idea! But yah I'm with yah on the draftyall the snowboarding gear goes on before I leave the driveway! One of my budys said the make a panel to go one the back of the dash to cover up the wires and help with that! Otherwise im getting ready to make a fiberglass one. Have you heard of anything like that?

qwerty8669 Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:00 pm

I see temps in the 20s here at night when I was driving mine ..... Generator went out haven't swapped it yet. I wear carhart bibs and sweatshirt to/for work and only my hands get cold. And defrost isn't the best.

Read the sticky on the heat system then read it again. Properly working and car sealed good you should be burning up in all that gear.

I have been thinking about mounting a oilcooler in the car so that I get the heat from it also. But need to figure a good way to get that hot air out of the car during the summer.

As far as the compartment cover .... Yeah those came on the car from the factory but seems most are lost along with the thermostat and flaps for the cooling system. They can be found online by most all companies.

http://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/Searchcat.aspx?SC=cover&C=791

And move that fuel filter .make sure it is before the pump... I moved mine just after the fuel comes from the hard line on the car 5 bucks in fuel hose 2 bucks in clamps. But if it busts or pulls your line from your carb .... Well a lot of bugs have died in fires that way. Photos of where I put mine are in my build thread down in my Sig or the Facebook for the car