TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Oregon Trail Syncro build Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
dkoesyncro Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:43 am

In April 2012 I got fed up with my boxer and decided to do a swap! While wieghing the pros and cons of all optional swaps I decided to dive in....I gave her some fresh new undies.

The multi colors of primer made it simpler to stratigize as well as visibility of coverage. Next came some mortons, sem and topped of w/ russfres chunky stuff (PIA to apply but super stout when cured)

Next to get attention is the fuel tank and such, the duct tape was replaced with high heat tape. New sending unit and valves w/ gates barricade fuel lines

I then figured it out....although dated a bit, I decided to go w a built aba 2.0 full balanced w/ low comp. pistons to allow some boost-

back from the machine shop magna fluxed and bored out "clean and crisp"

notice the rod caps, it seems barbaric but this is balanced

8.5:1 comp pistons from super tech, when doing the ring gap on these I worked my nerves good. The steel is so hard.... I now understand the lure for Hitori Honzo swords and such; "no B/S"!

jimeg Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:48 pm

Nice. Cool to see a VW I4 going in.

Madeouttaglass Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:25 am

Beautiful work.

purplepeopleeater Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:33 am

Nice, you laying the I4 on its side to keep clearance?

dkoesyncro Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:19 pm

I just got back from the wrecking yard, got some parts that wound up m.i.a. and some other things for the wifes wagon.

I have been back in forth in my head about laying it on its side or not...... A while back ago, I got some 1.8T prototype bars. W/ a mod to one side they'll work beutifully and keep that engine at stock. This will keep the turbo out of the line of debris when playing syncro, also the block has oil squirters to cool the pistons. When layed @ 50 the squirters seem as though they would be less effective. This is simply speculation of observation on the engine stand! Second thought is that the oiling for the intermediate shaft bearings appears to be gravity from the return passages from block/head, these sit on the top when laid over @ 50.

I think that the ABA/AEG intakes are what make these sit so tall, I do have both intakes and the AEG is less restrictive The ABA blocks are 10 mm taller then the 1.8's/2.0's past and present. I think I can come close to the 1.8T clearence w/ a custom made intake similar to the AEB, "dunno we'll see"!

Thanks for the kind words and enthusiasm!

dkoesyncro Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:35 pm

I got some progress done scince last week,the block had been taped and masked and sprayed chrysler corp blue and the assembly begins...
welded in the AN fitting into the oil pan and installed a vwmotorsport windage tray
Got the head back from the machinist, Troy @ CLackamas Auto Parts (came from a local machine shop that was well known in the vw community "R.I.P. Dan Hall") Troy gave this thing some attention cleaned up the castings in the intake while working a short radius porting and opened up the exhaust side. This technique is suppose to really focus the grunt on the low end of the RPM. This thing looked like it was billet, the man is an artist
Also through in some 41mm stainless/33.5 inconel valves w/ titanium retainers and HD valve springs, a 266 cam and adjustable came gear from the guys a techtonics.

some more assembly, and the last photo is a modded power steering that will run off the serp belt.

[/img]

camit34 Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:26 am

Nice! Keep the updates coming!

vw4wd Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:09 am

An interesting thread. I note in the last few posts some indecision about an upright or tilted installation. I also see in the last but one picture that you are assembling the belt driven accessories including a power steering pump and perhaps air-con. If this is the case, the alternator location will not allow a tilted installation to fit below the engine cover.

I have an AGG code engine (2.0 GTi, 1998) in my syncro and it came with pas & a/c pumps plus the same alternator mount as you show. These have a twin belt (one V and one ribbed) set up and a double crank pulley. This would not get the alternator below the engine deck despite the extra couple of inches in a syncro (lower engine mounts).

I swapped in a single belt system and alternator/mount from a car without pas& a/c and this goes in nicely with the same dipstick access as the original JX turbo diesel had.

Hope this helps in some way.

Garyd

dkoesyncro Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:50 pm

I modified the PS pump bracket and the original accessories bracket that housed the AC pump, As of now it looks as though its going to work. I am excited to have them all on one belt and the PS pump out of the way. (pics to come)

I am going to run this engine at 15 deg. I picked up a Mk2 valve cover It sits the lowest and it is going through a modification too! so far it seems as though this will sit just as tall in the seat as the 1.8T. I do have to build a custom intake!

I hope to get it in the engine bay this weekend and start the process of lay out and mock up [-o< [/list]

Dampcamper Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:31 pm

dillonkoester wrote:
Got the head back from the machinist, Troy @ CLackamas Auto Parts (came from a local machine shop that was well known in the vw community "R.I.P. Dan Hall") Troy gave this thing some attention cleaned up the castings in the intake while working a short radius porting and opened up the exhaust side. This technique is suppose to really focus the grunt on the low end of the RPM. This thing looked like it was billet, the man is an artist

Agreed on the quality of work Troy does. I hated to go getting my engine dirty when I got it back from him!
Also on the R.I.P. for Dan Hall. Over 30 years ago I needed to find a machine shop in Portland that did VW work so I inquired about "who did Porsche machine work" and everybody sent me to Dan. A good man.

Crankey Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:29 am

dkoesyncro Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:55 pm

I have made some progress as well as a couple steps forward and one step back. I had modded my PSP to run on the serp w/ an AC delete once the engine was in place the PSP sat against the carrier bars. I was damn proud that I succeeded in this mod and dissappointed that it would'nt clear the carrier bar,"bitter sweet". I accept my defeat and went back to the original PSP. So once the engine was mocked in place I had to make a motor mount for the passenger side. Started w/ plate; heat, hammer and anvil, cut cuss and manipulate.........VIOLA
[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw
this photo also displays the block off/adapter plate for the PCV system also the bracket covers the second port which i sealed up w/ a freeze plug. My PCV system will be plumbed to a catch can/breather plumbed back into the intake.

The thermostat flange angle was kinda iffy as far as its design and placement for the vanagon. Off to the wrecker to play mad scientist. I came up w/ this. OE, Porsche and volvo. The porsche had a wider mounting base/bolt spread and the oe is plastic w/ a hair line crack and the volvo points downward/outward 45 deg. and the mounting spread matches. EUREKA, not quite! Got to modify a bit also the mounting flange is thicker and I had to take about 3/8 of an inch to clear the PSP bracket and the O ring collar from the oe had to be adapted to the volvo.....epoxy rocks.

Also nabbed the wahler thermostatic oil cooler, modded brackets on the carrier bar for oil cooler plate to allow protection from debris and splash as well as some real estate for an intercooler too. The plate was a proto, using a larger one now- Here you can see the finished motor mount.

This is a view of the extra ooomph a Garrett super 60

Earlier in this thread I mentioned using a modded Mk2 valve cover to get clearance.

After shaving the old breather port I added a AN fitting and a little tribute to the company that made this possible. Once that was done it went to the local powder coat shop...eager I asked what was the color of the day, They said safety orange and safety yellow. I opted for orange at a bargain...Got it home and thought "F-yah" dont all us syncro drivers feel like are rigs have a little GENERAL LEE " 8-[ "

and the coolest thing...........It fits un-modded deck lid

outwesty Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:06 am

Awesome. The ABA is such a great motor. I have the oil cooler on my TDI set up almost exactly as yours and it seems to be doing well. I will be watching this.

insyncro Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:18 am

Nice valve cover :wink:

jimeg Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:15 pm

Every time I see an I4 in a Vanagon, I can't help but think "WTF was VW thinking with the WBX?".

Thoroughly enjoying your build thread. Sweet valve cover. Reminds me of the General Lee, obviously, but also my dad's old Road Runner of the same color. Nice.

jimeg Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:18 pm

Every time I see an I4 in a Vanagon, I can't help but think "WTF was VW thinking with the WBX?".

Thoroughly enjoying your build thread. Sweet valve cover. Reminds me of the General Lee, obviously, but also my dad's old Road Runner of the same color. Nice.

dkoesyncro Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:45 pm

Thank you fellow enthusiasts! I almost went w/ the subie 2.5 so many of them out there. The ABA is well built and in my opinion kinda the last of the engine that fits the "VW peoples car". Designed to last w/ user/driver friendly maintnance. The vortex and web display what potential that can be had from an ABA.........I was sold!

Its been very enjoyable to build and tinker, tonight I got my passenger carrier bar back from the powder coat and the oil cooler installed w/ the new shield. I also got an intercooler from a 95-99 eclipse/talon. I think I can get it to fit inside behind the passenger tail light sealed and use the inlet area around the snorkel/fuel hose to act as a ram air over the intercooler. This location will avoid heat soak (a problem w/ top mount subie I/C) and provide coolest air possible for the vanagon i think.

Jeff's Old Volks Home Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:31 am

What a refreshing thought... not just another Subaru conversion...
Jeff

Zeitgeist 13 Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:45 am

I like the install. What kind of crossbar are you using on the left side?

dkoesyncro Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:36 pm

I got a set of 1.8T prototype carrier bars. I reached out to the vendors and got lucky!