TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Late ('67) Walk-Through Driver Seat Alignment
TimmyH79 Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:29 am

Hello everyone, quick verification on the driver-side seat for a late walk through. When we lined up the rails I bought to put in my bus (replacing aftermarket seat) it seemed like the driver seat was offset so that the seat back actually hits the inner side of the walk through bulkhead

It doesn't really look right but after looking through the gallery and forums and I think it actually is - seems to be positioned that way to be better in line with the wheel. Also, it seems like what little is left of the original seat rail bases lines up in this way

Just wanted to make sure before welding on permanently, thanks in advance

Pics for reference

Seat would look like this from the gallery (thanks!)

EverettB Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:41 am

Here's 2 photos I found of my '63 walk-thru rails, maybe this helps?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=890365

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=890364

The area near the walk-thru is right at the edge but it looks like your rail might be hanging over.

The seat back does go past the divider but barely.

These aren't the best photos so if someone can't provide better photos fairly quickly, PM me and I will take some more.

TimmyH79 Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:01 am

Thanks, the extra metal hanging over will be cut off, it isn't part of the rail itself - I assume that bracket came off a non-walkthrough so was flat mounted instead of curving around the wheel well.

I think it is interesting that it is arranged this way but glad to find out there isn't something wrong.

wedv907 Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:57 am

I just put some images of my seat base in the camper section of gallery.sorry couldn't get them to your post but check them out.if you need more precise measurements I can help but yours is looking correct compared to mine.i am not sure my seat hangs past walkthrough wall thou like the pic you posted,pretty sure it tucked in there but will check on that latter.good luck,jeff

EverettB Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:14 pm

wedv907 wrote: I just put some images of my seat base in the camper section of gallery.sorry couldn't get them to your post but check them out.if you need more precise measurements I can help but yours is looking correct compared to mine.i am not sure my seat hangs past walkthrough wall thou like the pic you posted,pretty sure it tucked in there but will check on that latter.good luck,jeff

Here they are so they are easier to locate in the future

oldvolkz Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:48 pm

sticky time

EverettB Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:33 pm

Here are some photos from a 1963 walk-thru Bus: