TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Dune buggy title?
Vwman37 Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:59 pm

I'm considering buying this buggy.
http://semo.craigslist.org/rvs/4231758241.html
It has no title. My question is what has to be done in Illinois to get a dune buggy titled and then street legal? It already has seat belts, turn signals, horn, high/low beams, tail lights, license plate light etc.. Does anyone have experience with getting a dune buggy titled? I have no idea where to even start. I live in an area in Illinois that does not require the yearly state vehicle safety inspections. Can anyone get me on the right track? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ORANGECRUSHer Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:45 am

They don't have specific info on their website but I would just visit your SOS and ask for documentation of the process. That is the only way you will really no for certain what is required. Don't ask opinionated strangers on the net.

google is friend
IDOT SOS LINK

ORANGECRUSHer Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:47 am

BTW I think Deerhunter already bought that.
:?

Vwman37 Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:06 pm

Ok thanks for the reply. I already looked on that website and found some info but nothing really specific. I was looking on this website to see if anyone has had any experience in getting a rail titled and street legal. I looked at deerhunters buggy and it is not the same one. Does anyone else have any advice?

deerhunter2 Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:41 pm

That's not my buggy. Although I did look that ad over a time or two when I was searching for one. I passed on it because it has no title and I wanted one that had already been licensed so I would not have to mess with all that stuff. There was another one on craigslist that I considered that was already legal in Mo. I don't know if there would be much trouble transfering it to ILL. Just in case you want to see it, here is the listing. PS. he told me he would take $3500
http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/cto/4250482386.html

Vwman37 Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:58 pm

I looked over that ad a couple of times too. Right now I have my eye on this one.
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/4282537181.html
It is already street legal so I wouldn't really have to mess with anything.

deerhunter2 Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:07 pm

looks neat. Might be faster and stronger, but I'm not the right person to ask about that stuff. I'm no where near being a mechanic. I am just really hung up on the VW motors, air cooled, cheaper and easier (for me) to work on. But hope for you to end up with what you like and enjoy the hell out of it.

Vwman37 Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:57 pm

Yea I know that those ford 2.3 engines are really good engines. But then again, so are volkswagens haha. I hope to end up with a water cooled engine because they usually require less upkeep and have more power without having to modify them that much.

jalanfoster Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:58 pm

In Illinois you can apply for an SOS special construction title.. You must provide all receipts for the vehicle submit them with the special construted vehicle application and after they review your paperwork an SOS agent come out and inspects the vehicle to make sure it conforms and then stamps an sos VIN # onto the frame and you receive a title in a month or so. That route is a pain! ,, Or you can find a junk VW with clear title remove the vin plates and stamped pan #'s weld that plate to your chasis and use whatever other parts you may need from the title donor take the title and go tranfer it into your name and get your tags,,

deerhunter2 Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:15 pm

Not sure about this, but I have been told that if you have a rail buggy that is titled as a VW Beetle, insurance company's will not pay bills (even on the liability side) if you get into an accident. Since the insurance comp. thinks they are covering a beetle. Could have been told wrong, but you might want to check on that.