TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: saburu transaxle into aircooled type 1?
Dr OnHolliday Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:58 pm

Ok, I havent thought this thru at all, but can a 5-spd suburu transaxle be adapted into a type 1 and hooked up to an aircooled vw?
Pros and cons? Worth the costs?

Dale M. Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:54 pm

Transaxle is behind engine, and its forward mounted (engine) ... Yes there is a gear set (ring and pinion) available from gentlemen in Australia that converts front drive Subie 5 speed to rear engine setup....

And yes its longer than a VW transaxle and will probably interfere with standard torsion bar housing of Type 1...

This is transaxle you would be dealing with....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=582986

Dale

jsturtlebuggy Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:14 pm

Yes it can be done. And no it will not interfere with torsion housing.
Todd of www.subarugears.com website shows the different Subaru transaxle to use.
Todd has a ad on the Samba of what trans and parts he is sells.
He is working on a adapter plate to use a VW engine with the Subaru trans.

I was involved with the building of a Meyers Manx Kick Out SS dune buggy for the Manx Club raffle this July.
We installed one of Todd's Subaru transaxles with his reversed ring & pinion with a 2.5 liter Subaru engine.
I can tell you the trans worked well when I drove it. It was great having the 5speed to use to match the engine torque curve.
The drive flanges he sell for the Subaru conversion uses 100mm CV (type II, IV, Porsche 924).
It does require the use of 15 5/8 CV axles which are a little shorter that stock Bug ones.

gprudenciop Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:22 pm

Problem with the subaru trans is it will slow the revs down to much and probably fry the motor in 5th!(useing aircooled)

jsturtlebuggy Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:34 pm

Subaru Gears has 3 different ring & pinion ratios available,
3.90, 4.10, and 4.86
Plus there are different gear sets available for 1st through 5th.
More than enough combinations to come up with something that will work for you.
Plus the rear tire diameter also will determine what RPMs you will be turning at cruising speeds.

Bones 53 Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:56 am

What about these? From the picture and description looks like a bolt in

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1587281

75smith Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:14 am

Bones 53 wrote: What about these? From the picture and description looks like a bolt in

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1587281

bolt in almost, he hasn't made the adapter for ACVW yet, so your stuck with a subie engine.....

mark tucker Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:19 am

gprudenciop wrote: Problem with the subaru trans is it will slow the revs down to much and probably fry the motor in 5th!(useing aircooled)
so just ideling with my motor will fry it? or driving around town slowely with vw trans will fry it? lower rpm/less power/less fuell=less heat, but your cooling system needs to be up to the task of cooling the motor nomatter what rpm your running....and the motor also needs to be up to the task asked of it.