TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: No key and locked column, need some help
steaksauce Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:25 pm

Hello all, I'm new to aircooled's (my other car is a bmw 2002) and I saved this from a field off a guy that didn't care at all about the car. Most likely seeing some of the other cars he had and how stuff was missing off some cars, it was most like stolen since the owner thought he left the key in the ignition. The issue is that without a key can I take apart the column to remove it or am I pretty much stuck with drilling out the ignition.

Its on a Fastback but honestly have no idea what year it is, since have to do a VIN look up tomorrow, lets just say it will be quite the project lol.

So far I've read that you can remove the wheel, turnsignal switch and then release the pin on the ignition and pull it out but will that still work with no key?

Edit: If the taillights are correct, its a 66-69 if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your help in advance!

flyinglow94 Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:36 pm

Post pics if you can or and the first three numbers of the vin# something like 317 for 67 to 313 for a 73

Mike Fisher Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:42 pm

I took the steering column off my '67 and took it to a local Locksmith. He disassembled and made me new keys for $65.

rosevillain Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:44 pm

The outer door handles have the key codes imprinted on them. You can pull them and have Gabriel the key guy cut you some keys.

steaksauce Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:51 pm

flyinglow94 wrote: Post pics if you can or and the first three numbers of the vin# something like 317 for 67 to 313 for a 73

I will have to check the VIN tomorrow, car is up at my dad's since my 2002 has the garage spot at my house. Here are a couple pics though.

I will keep in mind the key code, didn't think of seeing if there was one on these, only issue is I need to get it off the trailer. To load it we had a winch and two jacks under the front which we steered the car with.

Also with the key code, can anyone do it or does it have to be a VW shop (closest dealer is like a hour away)

Clatter Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:06 pm

That looks like a little sweetheart right there.

'69 far as I can tell.

The VW dealer will only likely have a slack-eyed look for you.
They carry nothing for a 45-year-old car.

Of the two options,
Getting the door lock out and having a key made would be easiest,
but,
a lot of times the door or lock has been changed, and you still won't have an ignition key.
Taking the column out is a bit more work, but you are guaranteed to get a key that works.
I might venture to say that because many parts inside the column are fragile and rare,
My call would be to try the door lock thing first.

steaksauce Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:33 pm

I had a feeling the dealer would be worthly, I run into the same issue when I try to find 2002 parts locally haha.

I'm going to try and remove the column tomorrow so I can get it off the trailer since its not mine and just be gentle, kinda seems like my only option to get the car off tomorrow, don't want to tie up the trailer since its not mine.

Clatter Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:45 pm

FWIW, if it were mine,
I'd pull the fuel tank and un-do the rubber coupler.
Right where the column bolts to the steering box.

The column job is one best done with patience and the correct tools at hand.
Those columns are fragile.
Parts are hard to find,
And you gotta 'hold your mouth right' when you do one.
If you try and just do it in a parking lot or in a hurry, you might live to regret it.

Pulling the tank is going to need done anyways,
And then the coupler is real easy to get to and only four bolts.

steaksauce Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:48 pm

Cool thanks for the tip, this is my first aircooled so I have lots to learn, I'm use to bmw's but excited to get started on this.

Bobnotch Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:13 am

steaksauce wrote: Hello all, I'm new to aircooled's... The issue is that without a key can I take apart the column to remove it or am I pretty much stuck with drilling out the ignition.

So far I've read that you can remove the wheel, turnsignal switch and then release the pin on the ignition and pull it out but will that still work with no key?

It looks like you have either a 68 or 69.
Yes, you can pull the steering wheel (27mm or 1 1/8 socket), the turn signal switch (4 screws), then the release tab, and pull the switch out (this will unlock the steering column). Then you can either take it to a good locksmith who'll cut you a set of new keys, or you can get the key number off the lock assembly, and have someone like Gabriel make you a set of keys.

You can also pull both door handles (to check that the key numbers match), and take 1 in to a good locksmith (I usually take the right door handle in, as it has less wear on it) and have a key made. I've done it both ways (door handle, and ignition switch), and have had good results.

The big thing to keep in mind, is that it's possible that someone replaced the ignition switch and lock assembly in the past, and the door key won't unlock the steering column. I've ran into that before too. :roll: Which is why I suggest pulling the ignition switch to have a key made. You can seperate the lock assembly from the electrical half after it's out, by removing a single small screw (don't loose it).