TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Garage door safety, whew I am so lucky.
LAGrunthaner Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:47 am

For those of you with your bus tucked safely in the garage for the winter make sure your garage door springs have a safety wire on them. Almost 2 weeks ago I closed the garage door and walked away only hearing a crash of metal and garage door rumble. I knew this was the sound of the garage door spring or cables letting loose. I feared my new paint (never drove the bus after painted several years ago) sustained damage so I just couldn't bring myself to open the side door to check the damage. Today was my lucky day I opened up the side door to check the damage and to my surprize there was zero damage to the bus, motorcycle or anything in the garage. The spring broke in half and the remaining spring just fired across 2 feet from the bus onto the garage door. Thinking about it now I'm also lucky no one was near the projectile. If you don't have a safety cable on your garage springs think about installing them.

I am so lucky 8)

earlywesty Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:50 am

I can't believe you waited two weeks to check the situation out. I would have been in there immediately.

Thanks for the heads up.

LAGrunthaner Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:58 am

I didn't want to ruin my weeks with mid term exams in the early stages of being written in my engineering classes. I guess out of sight out of mind, and I did have 2 great weeks of getting stuff done while shoveling. I figured there wasn't anything I could do if the bus or bike was damaged until spring anyway with snow boxing in the garage so why aggravate myself.

buseric wrote: I can't believe you waited two weeks to check the situation out. I would have been in there immediately.

Thanks for the heads up.

LAGrunthaner Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:42 pm

pondoras box Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:21 pm

I had one of those brake when I was closing a garage door before. I was inside the garage when it went. I did have the safety cables running through them thank God! Scared the scrap out of me!

Just glad to hear nothing was damaged but more importantly you werent hurt. Get those cables installed.

LAGrunthaner Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:24 pm

Wow you were lucky, and so was I.

pondoras box wrote: I had one of those brake when I was closing a garage door before. I was inside the garage when it went. I did have the safety cables running through them thank God! Scared the scrap out of me!

Just glad to hear nothing was damaged but more importantly you werent hurt. Get those cables installed.

jwp67 Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:28 pm

I can't believe you haven't driven the bus after it was painted several years ago. :shock: Drive that baby!

Glenn Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:34 pm

I have a garage door spring snap and luckily it did no damage. I now have a cable that runs through the spring so if one snaps it will not fall.

bubblehead Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:37 pm

Had the exact same thing happen to me last summer. I was inside the garage. Fortunately nothing in the trajectory path. And yes, scared the sh!t out of me too :shock:

EverettB Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:51 pm

LAGrunthaner wrote: If you don't have a safety cable on your garage springs think about installing them.

I'd replace them. If they don't have safety cables they are OLD.

I had one break 15 years ago and you couldn't even buy springs without the safety addition at that time.

Daddybus Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:44 pm

EverettB wrote: LAGrunthaner wrote: If you don't have a safety cable on your garage springs think about installing them.

I'd replace them. If they don't have safety cables they are OLD.

I had one break 15 years ago and you couldn't even buy springs without the safety addition at that time.

They are beyond old! Replace them in pairs (do both sides).