TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Sherrinonie Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:41 pm

Well, after experiencing the hiccups in april of last year, my mechanic cleaned, soldered and tightened ground wires and fuel pump wires and ground along with checked timing and idle and replaced fuel filter.

I am now beginning to experience the hiccups and intermittent near loss of power again. I'm assuming Gowesty's new EfI parts kit, when it becomes released this year, will solve this issue. Anyone else looking to get this done?

Parts number at GoWesty (GW-EFI)

Thanks! :D

Jeff's Old Volks Home Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:47 pm

Nope. You're buying the only one.

D Clymer Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:27 pm

Sherrinonie wrote: Well, after experiencing the hiccups in april of last year, my mechanic cleaned, soldered and tightened ground wires and fuel pump wires and ground along with checked timing and idle and replaced fuel filter.

I am now beginning to experience the hiccups and intermittent near loss of power again. I'm assuming Gowesty's new EfI parts kit, when it becomes released this year, will solve this issue. Anyone else looking to get this done?

Parts number at GoWesty (GW-EFI)

Thanks! :D

Nobody knows much about the new GW EFI system yet, but in answer to your question, yes, the intention with this system is to replace all the old components and wiring with new and modern equivalents. If GW did their development work right, all of the drivability woes you have described will be a thing of the past.

Definitely worth keeping an eye on if your WBX engine is in sound condition and you have no interest in doing an engine conversion. I'm sure in the next few months there will be some impressions/accounts posted here.

David

Sherrinonie Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:07 pm

I have 2.1L with just over 11,000 miles on it. What's the best engine conversion?

D Clymer Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:29 pm

Sherrinonie wrote: I have 2.1L with just over 11,000 miles on it. What's the best engine conversion?

That's a tough question to answer since all of the popular conversions have their strengths. But since you are in California, the only two that have the blessing of the CARB are the Subaru 2.2 and the VW/Audi 1.8T. Of those two, I would choose the 1.8T. But full conversions are expensive - $10,000 or more if you have a shop do the work. So, the GoWesty EFI system might be the best route for you since your 2.1 seems to have low mileage.

David

16CVs Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:25 pm

That new system is interesting to me as well. I just do not want to be a Quinea pig for them. The concept is great ,but de-bugging is a long process .
Mine has a drive-ability issue like you ,bucking and stumbling . Ken Wilfy feels that most issues are hooked to an old harness . You can change every sensor and replace parts ,but if the harness has a few opens in it or some wires with high resistance it will never run right .
While the new harness is not cheap at $700.00, you probably spend that money just screwing with the thing .
I love how my DJ runs ,except for the above mentioned issues . So either The GW system is a cure all or a new factory style Harness might be the answer as well .

Stacy

rockfish Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:35 am

I have a Beta version of the EFI. Just got a firmware upgrade on Friday. They just swapped out the computer itself...unplug and then plug in the new one. Then run the engine, plug in laptop to refine settings. The new EFI is mounted underneath the cabinet in the rear of the Westy...no unit under the bench seat.

The hiccups, hesitations, bucking have been eliminated. The new update has refined the idle issues. I think they want to do one more round of study and update before releasing the product.

Besides the new computer, there is an all new wire harness as well.

16CVs Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:51 am

I am glad you are so close and running a 2.5 GW. I am building a 2.4 GW to go in my Syncro. Do you feel (your opinion) that your problems could have been eliminated with a Digifant Harness replacement ?
Did you run a Digifant system with the 2.5 ? Or has the 2.5 always been running their new system ?
PM sent as well .

Stacy

MarkWard Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:41 am

rockfish wrote: I have a Beta version of the EFI. Just got a firmware upgrade on Friday. They just swapped out the computer itself...unplug and then plug in the new one. Then run the engine, plug in laptop to refine settings. The new EFI is mounted underneath the cabinet in the rear of the Westy...no unit under the bench seat.

The hiccups, hesitations, bucking have been eliminated. The new update has refined the idle issues. I think they want to do one more round of study and update before releasing the product.

Besides the new computer, there is an all new wire harness as well.

Have any pictures?

edit: Are they using the stock distributor/ignition module for ignition and communicating/running the ECU?

rockfish Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:16 pm

Your questions can be answered via this GW technical article (including photos):

http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=1532

Partial Copy/paste from article:
The new GoWesty EFI parts kit (GW-EFI), comprised of:

1. Rebuilt throttle body—features precision ball bearings, replaces worn-out NLA original
2. Modern throttle position sensor (TPS)—replaces outdated NLA throttle on/off switch
3. Modern manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor—new feature for better fuel management control
4. New oxygen sensor—modern 4-wire design with sealed electrical plug (duh!)
5. New knock sensor—new feature to protect engine against detonation regardless of fuel octane rating
6. Modern electronic ignition coil—replaces antiquated original design
7. All new injection harness and power delivery harnesses:
• Replaces old, corroded, prone-to-moisture intrusion and NLA harness
• All modern completely sealed connectors (no rubber boots to rot away)
8. Single ground point—bolts to factory location in engine bay
9. New Delphi electronic control unit (ECU)—replaces NLA Digifant ECU and ICU (idle control unit)

There are only four connections to be made to the vehicle:

(1) Ground (#8 above)—brown wire bolted down at factory location in engine bay
(2) Constant power—red wire bolted down inside the factory weather-resistant junction box in front left corner of engine compartment
- New GoWesty Alternator Wiring Harness Upgrade Kit will be included to improve reliable power to this point
(3) Ignition power—black wire splice connection inside same junction box
(4) Tach signal—green wire splice connection inside same junction box

The use of the following components of the Digifant system will be modified or eliminated:

• Air flow meter (AFM) will be plugged back in, but is not used for air flow measurement
- The signal produced by the swinging door inside is no longer needed—replaced by new MAP and TPS
- Only the signal from the existing intake air temperature (IAT) sensor within the AFM is re-used
• Idle control unit (ICU) is eliminated—idle control will be handled by Delphi ECU

The following components will be re-used and need to be in good shape, and all will continue to be supported and available if/as needed from GoWesty:

• Fuel injectors
• Distributor
• Fuel pressure regulator
• Fuel pump
• Idle air control (IAC) valve

It is HIGHLY recommended that all of these items be replaced if they are original (or of unknown age). Stay tuned for an optional GoWesty kit that will supply all of the items we feel are critical for reliable long-term operation.

Timing is set just like with Digifant, 35 degrees +/- 5 degrees at 3000 RPM. Idle speed and fuel mixture is not adjustable and is completely automatic, as it was (supposed to be!) with Digifant.

Once installed, the appearance is almost indiscernible from Digifant:

MarkWard Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:38 pm

Thank you, it looks like they have taken a lot of the work out of it, but my choice would be a system that did not depend on the stock distributor etc, but a total engine mangement system Like the Electromotive TEC S. Thanks again.

bluebus86 Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:44 pm

A brand new NOS airflow meter replacement fixed most of my drivability problems. after 180K miles the airflow meter had worn out traces on the wiper board. not really repairable, and most used ones will have similar problems. A new distributor hall sendor also helped.

Use of the Van café ecu diagnostic unit helped me find the airflow meter problem, I rented the diagnostic unit, and liked it so much I purchased it. great tool.

rockfish Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:53 pm

And there are many who swear by Vanistan's VMS and throttle body replacements.

http://www.vanistan.com

CessnaJon Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:38 pm

tencent VSM......best $113 ever spent! Still working like a charm!

insyncro Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:41 pm

CessnaJon wrote: tencent VSM......best $113 ever spent! Still working like a charm!

The billet throttle body and VSM is butter :!:

MarkWard Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:00 am

Are they using the original air flow sensor for an IAT only? Or are they using it to keep the fuel pump running or both? What is the predicted cost of this updated system?

purplepeopleeater Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:08 pm

interesting, big motivation when I went suby powered was the lack of GOOD EFI parts, it seemed things where really drying up 3 years ago.

after going through an IAC and idle stabilizer box, I tossed in the towel.

watching thread....

Steve Arndt Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:13 pm

I have the VSM from 10C. I like the extra power from kicking in to full enrichment without having to go full throttle. The van drives smoother with the stock switch though. There is a distinct switch over that is felt when the VSM does the decell fuel cut then back into normal mode. The stock switch drives better on my setup (2316cc RJE WBX).

I'm going to put a standalone ECU on my van. Mario at the dub shop can set you up with a complete crank trigger Megasquirt setup for less than the go westy setup costs I would imagine.

S

hdenter Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:34 pm

What excites me about this product is the potential for improvement in fuel economy as well as power. If GW can demonstrate that a knock sensor can be properly installed and work reliably in conjunction with improvements in spark and fuel mapping, then they and other engine builders can start to think about pushing out the envelope with regards to compression ratios. For me, the best case scenario is a van with both more power and much better fuel economy. How about a tencent 2.2 behind a 5spd trans with 4.57 ring and taller tires that gets 25-26mpg? When you get down to crunching numbers and comparing spending $20k restoring and upgrading a vanagon verses spending the same or more money on a modern family van, after all the subjective arguments about how you love your van and how happy it makes you feel to drive it, you are left with the cold hard facts that the new cars are getting a lot better fuel economy for the power they have. While my vanagon may never be as safe as whats being built today, at least I could know that I won't cost me more money to drive 2500 miles a month. Anyway, with GW's new system or a megasquirt home brew, the future for is looking brighter for the wbx engine.

Hans

otiswesty Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:09 pm

I ditched the O2 sensor and my issues cleared