TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Air shocks on 70 fasty?
tatzandrodz Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:17 am

My 70 fasty lowered 2 clicks in front nothing in back and it bouncey enough it will shake food right out of your stomach, wonder if I could run air shocks all way around?

GjMan Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:29 am

What shocks are you running now? If the roughness is due to the front suspension bottoming out, then, yes, raising the front a bit with air shocks will help. Are you talking about the pump-up air shocks or the KYB Gas a justs? Better yet, raise the front correctly by re-indexing the torsion bars. Or modify the bump stops to give more travel.

For years I ran air shocks on my Squareback--the kind you pump up with an air compressor--to give me more ground clearance for off-road. Never had a problem, but I now realize I was just one mishap away from disaster. Failure of one shock could have left me stranded on some remote mountain jeep road.

tatzandrodz Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:43 am

The guy before me lowered it, I like my cars low , my buddy has a sq. and runs Monroe on front and jackers on back and it rides good

Derek Cobb Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:25 pm

My bet is that your shocks are too long and bottoming out. Unbolt them and take a little test drive. If the severe bounciness goes away, you just need shorter shocks.

Bobnotch Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:51 am

Derek Cobb wrote: My bet is that your shocks are too long and bottoming out. Unbolt them and take a little test drive. If the severe bounciness goes away, you just need shorter shocks.

That was my thought too. That or the rubber bump stops are still in place, and the car is sitting on them limiting how much travel the suspension has to use. :roll:
Keep in mind that 2 splines down up front is right at the limit for "stock" shocks, and if you go more than that, you should use lowered shocks (for a link pin bug). I say that, as 3 or more splines put you at the point of bottoming out the shock. In California (or other west coast states) the roads are smoother, so you might get away without going to a shorter shock, but in the mid west or east coast you need to, because of frost heaves in our roads and bridges (ask Brian Fye about them).

Derek Cobb Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:11 pm

Bobnotch wrote: Derek Cobb wrote: My bet is that your shocks are too long and bottoming out. Unbolt them and take a little test drive. If the severe bounciness goes away, you just need shorter shocks.

That was my thought too. That or the rubber bump stops are still in place, and the car is sitting on them limiting how much travel the suspension has to use. :roll:
Keep in mind that 2 splines down up front is right at the limit for "stock" shocks, and if you go more than that, you should use lowered shocks (for a link pin bug). I say that, as 3 or more splines put you at the point of bottoming out the shock. In California (or other west coast states) the roads are smoother, so you might get away without going to a shorter shock, but in the mid west or east coast you need to, because of frost heaves in our roads and bridges (ask Brian Fye about them).
Also the torsion bars could have sagged a bit taking two notches past the limit of a stock shock.