TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Dormobile Roofrack Clamps
blackdog1999 Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:34 pm

I have been asked by several people to post pics & specs on some Dormobile front roofrack clamps so they can make them. Here they are;

ezcamper Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:32 pm

I came a set of dormobile clamps that are the same on top but the bottom where the clamp attaches to the rain gutter is more triangle shaped and does not have a back to crimp onto the gutter.

blackdog1999 Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:16 pm

If there is nothing to clamp it to the back side of the gutter how does it secure? Road vibration could, theoretically, work its way loose.

fig Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:12 pm

Thanks for that blackdog; you've saved me having to take pics as I've also had the same requests.

The clamps on my 63 Martin Walter Dormobile rack don't have the gutter clamps and I have had one vibrate loose before. Luckily I heard it fall and stopped and found it on the road. Since then I've used cable ties to secure them to the rack legs. My clamps have a hole drilled through the lower part, which is perfect for the safety ties. The part that hooks under the gutter on mine is also triangular.

ezcamper Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:19 pm

Just made this clamp out of stainless.

emersonbiggins Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:46 am

How much is a pair of those repro clamps?

ezcamper Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:10 pm

$75 each. They are no longer stainless though.

MrBusCo Sun May 09, 2021 9:49 pm

How do you tighten these? just wondering.

peecee69 Mon May 10, 2021 5:54 am

MrBusCo wrote: How do you tighten these? just wondering.

In this picture:

The left side hooks to the roof rack and is stationary with a threaded rod inside it. The right side hooks to the rain gutter and has female threads and a ball & socket mechanism. The right side is rotated right to tighten and left to loosen. I had one of these racks a while back and those clamps work quite well. I wish they would have a provision for a cotter pin to lock them in place, but I checked them every time I fueled up to make sure they were still tight. I think I found them slightly loose a few times.

MrBusCo Mon May 10, 2021 6:58 am

And you just turn it in by hand and it’s tight enough?

peecee69 Mon May 10, 2021 7:01 am

MrBusCo wrote: And you just turn it in by hand and it’s tight enough?

Yep. If a wrench or some other tool is used to get more leverage, either the rack or the rail gutter will bend. Don't ask me how I know...