TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Tow-bar
Michael356 Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:37 am

Hello,
I'm looking for all kind of info how to mount a tow-bar to an 23 window bus from 1960. I found a y-shaped trailer coupling but not sure if it was with a bus, split screen beetle or Kübelwagen. The device has fixed points to the car's axle tubes and is firmed up to the inside bumper. Is this the right one for a bus and are these 2x2 fixing points good enough ? My bus hat metal plates welded under the frame to inforce the structure while having the big sun roof. Is there anyone out there who can give advice or send a photo of a tow-bar mounted to a samba bus.
Appreciate any kind of help .... TXS
Michael

thom Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:50 am

This thread is useless without pics

Z Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:51 am

These two pics from the gallery show how the typical bus towbar mounts. The lower tube of the front beam, assuming it and the chassis have some structural stability, is the best attachment point for towing a bus.

cru62 Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:24 am

I think he's talking about a tow hitch, not a tow bar. He's from Germany, so there is a little bit lost in translation, perhaps?

mandraks Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:44 am

in germany the only legal trailer hitches are made by westfalia and one other outfit whose name eludes me right now. (getting old)

search for westfalia they are comprised of 2 u-shaped hangers that go over the torsion tube., then the 2 actual long bars that go all the way to the ball.

they have 2 bolts that attach to the bumper as they go underneath the bumpers

they have to pieces of flat steel the are under the motor and bolt to the bumper bracket mounts

the entire thing is essentially triangular in shape with the tip being the ball.

they do not have a open receiver like they often have here in the US.

In germany you can not mount a trailer hitch that is home made, gets you a ticket every time

you even get a ticket if you have a legal hitch and it is not listed in the fahrzeugbrief, ask me how i know :)

Clara Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:24 am

Here are some pictures of a Westfalia tow hitch on Greg's 55 camper.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?...t_dir=DESC

This is the version for a pressed bumper bus.
It may actually be specifically for a Wolfsburg produced bus with the round tube under the transmission.
There are different versions for later split buses, for bugs, etc.

fig Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:45 am

I don't know anything about German regulations, but this tow bar (tow hitch) was locally made in South Africa under licence from Oris Metallbau in Germany. I can't say if the design is TUV approved. I recently tried to fit it and discovered it was made for a pressed bumper (pre-58 ) bus.

As you can see, it attaches only to the bumper mountings, with one extra bolt hole needed to be drilled in the bus. I have a locally made light aluminium trailer based on the Westfalia Essen design, which I'm sure won't tax this hitch too much, even though it doesn't have the mounts to the torsion beam.

My trailer:

Clara Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:52 am

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=260096&highlight=westfalia

mandraks Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:42 am

fig wrote: I don't know anything about German regulations, but this tow bar (tow hitch) was locally made in South Africa under licence from Oris Metallbau in Germany. I can't say if the design is TUV approved. I recently tried to fit it and discovered it was made for a pressed bumper (pre-58 ) bus.

the manufacturer tag on it will certainly help getting it approved and entered in the fahrzeugbrief.

The westy one is very common in germany, and getting it "legal" will be very easy. It is a great hitch, and i have towed tandem trailers with over a ton loaded on the trailer.

I bet a simple call to any of the german bulli kartei members would result in a copy of the paperwork needed to register any legal trailer hitch.

I know we pretty much all had one on our buses when i still lived there