TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Trying to start a 1776
hugh mcmillin Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:44 am

the starter turns the motor until the motor tries to fire then the starter just spins does anyone know whats going on. i want to get this sorted before i put the body on the chassis

Letterman7 Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:43 am

Stripped teeth on the bendix? Incorrect starter for the flywheel (pinion not the right tooth count)? Not enough info - try posting in the engine/performance section to get more answers.

hugh mcmillin Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:11 am

the teeth look fine but i didn't think about the count. it will turn the motor fine until it tries to fire up then its like the torque makes the teeth jump off. but i am using a screw driver to jump the starter because the body is off rite now i want to get it running before i put the body back on

joe56vw Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:31 am

hugh mcmillin wrote: the teeth look fine but i didn't think about the count. it will turn the motor fine until it tries to fire up then its like the torque makes the teeth jump off. but i am using a screw driver to jump the starter because the body is off rite now i want to get it running before i put the body back on

bad connection then from the plating on the screwdriver hook up a jumper wire from thick gauge that will handle the current