TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: I have the chance to purchase 3 square backs..... Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
MarraFab Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:36 pm

so i went to look at a ghia i seen listed on the classifieds, lond story short... i got to his house and the ghia is so far gone i cant bring myself to buy it. but he has 3 square backs that are complete cars, one of them says 1500s on the rear hatch.. i also think it is pre 68 because it had a wide 5 lug pattern. the other two are a bit newer..... they have been sitting but everything is there....what do you think they are worth?...i would like to keep one but want to save all 3 from the fate of the ghia.not sure if the pans are real solid but there cars from what i can tell are pretty fair.

MarraFab Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:40 pm

ill post some pictures soon

MarraFab Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:40 am

I took only these couple, I could tell the guy was a bit private and I didn't want to over do my welcome. we did chat for a while and he says I can buy anything id like and his prices are fair, but I didn't make on offer on these.

Type3Buddha Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:57 am

Depending on the state of the 2 older ones(pans, interior, ect) I would for snag that 1500 with the white top, looks clean. The nearest one has that ratty look that sells, so it could be flipped. Later model is a 68 or 69. Both good cars last year of 12v swing, first year of IRS. price is right buy em all.

they look complete and straight.

MarraFab Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:15 am

Type3Buddha wrote: Depending on the state of the 2 older ones(pans, interior, ect) I would for snag that 1500 with the white top, looks clean. The nearest one has that ratty look that sells, so it could be flipped. Later model is a 68 or 69. Both good cars last year of 12v swing, first year of IRS. price is right buy em all.

they look complete and straight.

the floors and such are something im not sure about, I know that two of the trunks and engine bays are all solid. interior is rotten.

I want to do a package deal, i would want to buy all three and then keep the one I feel the best about and sell the other two to hopefully get my money back...but Im not sure what to offer in order to do that.

any ideas on what I should offer? they seem solid but im not 100%

GjMan Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:01 am

Hard to say what they are worth from the info given. Type 3s can be badly rusted and look not too bad on the surface. Can you go back for a closer inspection? Check the pans carefully. Look for rot in the front part of the rear wheel wells--you'll need to remove the rear interior panels and raise the rear seat. Are the rockers solid? Poke gently with a screwdriver. There'll probably be rust in the lower rear portion of the front fenders, but that's relatively easy to fix.

Do any of them have titles?

As for bargaining on price, try to get the seller to name a figure and go from there. He may be glad to just get rid of them. Or he may think he's sitting on a gold mine and expect you to pay accordingly.

Hope you're able to save these classics in the end.

Bobnotch Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:59 am

The car with the 1500 badge is either a 64 or 65 (you'd have to look at the dash to see what switches it has for lights and wiper (push button=64, 2 seperates=65). I say that, as it has wide 5 smooth rims, and short hood trim.

The car further out is a 66 or a 67 (looks like a 67 to me), as it has the early style door handles and thin trim, along with 4 lug rims and the long hood trim.

The orange car is a 71 and later, since wiper blades park on the right (70 and earlier park on the left), and it has no pop out windows.

As for what they're worth, tha's hard to say. You'd have to inspect them for rust, and completeness. In the FAQ at the top of the forum, will tell you where to look for rust. Keep in mind that at this time, only floor pans (from Gerson) and rocker skins (from CIP) are the only reproduced new body metal. Nothing else is available, except NOS.

Gjman brings up a good point, Do they have titles? If not, they're only worth their weight in scrap (or parts).

That said, I'd probably offer him 1500 to 2K for all 3 as they sit (IF they have titles), and go from there. If they don't have titles, I'd probably only give him 200 each (to part them out). :shock: I hope this helps.

t3kg Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:19 am

As Bob says, the one with the surface rust is a '64 or '65 and the lack of side markers indicate North American spec -- either US tourist delivery or a Canadian import. Looks like it was originally Safari Beige, a cool 1500S color, with killer patina for those who are into that sort of thing. Someone has installed high-back seats from a later model. The 1500S and the '67 with the white roof have the most potential. Floor pan replacement will likely be needed but replacement pan halves are available.

Clatter Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:37 am

Those actually look like some real treasures to me!

From what I can see, they don't have rust around the headlight buckets, or up in the top rear corners of the front fenders.

Cars around here, that's the first place they rust.

So, if these few indicators are accurate, these things are lovely...
Now, different cars rust in different places,
And pans always rust under the battery area.
But a few of these I took apart lately, were perfect except for holes in the corners of the front fenders.

Early cars, looks like OG paint... You have to save them...
Don't let them sit out there for any more long winters!

blankmange Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:53 am

if they have titles, buy all three and make one, maybe two good cars out of the three...

MarraFab Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:58 am

this is all great information!...has really helped me figure out what to look for. speaking to him I got the vibe he doesn't know much about them, like he purchased them out of the blue. but he did state that they were all fully paper worked when he parked them and he should still have the titles....I feel like I want to make an offer on the two older models and then see if I cant find a buyer for the orange one and also the ghia....I just hate seeing them sit there and rot away.

I will be calling him again this afternoon to see if I cant come visit again today. ill keep you all informed

Clatter Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:04 pm

See if you can't get the frunks open....
If there aren't any holes rusted through the inner fender areas, you definitely get a gem or two there.

So many people out there struggling with rusted out cars,
To save these from the dry areas of the US is earning yourself good car-ma.

They look complete enough that it wouldn't require using parts from one to save the other.
And,
Typically,
In similar areas, they all need similar parts.
Like in this case, sitting in the sun,
The dash-pads are probably shot on all three of them,
So there's no robbing parts from one ta save another.

Someone out there is jones-ing to restore a couple of these,
make them all OG and perfect, and give them a loving home for years to come.

ataraxia Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:17 pm

Bobnotch wrote: The car with the 1500 badge is either a 64 or 65 (you'd have to look at the dash to see what switches it has for lights and wiper (push button=64, 2 seperates=65).

Late 64's have knobs too...best to check the VIN plates/stamp on the tunnel under the rear seat.

MarraFab Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:25 pm

I bought all 3... :shock:

Clatter Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:28 pm

How much?

My guess - $600...

Do tell!

joey1320 Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:11 pm

I would love to have that rusty one, it looks awesome as it is..
If you were only closer :( :lol:

MarraFab Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:47 pm

here they are...the floors in the grey ones are good except for under the back seat, inner fender wells/frunk are in amazing shape!.... broken windows on one of them... rockers look save able for sure. ill be inspecting them and taken way better pictures.

MarraFab Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:49 pm

I paid $800 for all three

t3kg Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:00 pm

Nice work! Any shots of the inside of the 1500S? Get the VINs and we can help you figure out what you've bought.

MonT3 Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:28 pm

Congrats on your find and buy as it’s a super-sweet score. Take your time and look them over to decide which you intend to keep/rebuild, .etc and which you intend to sell off if that’s what you plan with them. Looks like you have a possible buyer in OH that’s interested in one of them. I do concur, the 66/67 (white top) looks to be in better shape for a rebuild but they all look good for sitting untouched in a field for a while. Please post more pics when you can. Lucky for you the nests residents were gone. Cool find!