TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Custom autosound radio spare parts? Where to buy?
stickshift Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:54 am

I have a custom autosound radio fitted in the 75 kombi van I just bought. It is the 2 knob retro styled type rather than push buttons. The radio was new December 13. But the vehicle seller has no paperwork. The stereo will not tune, the switch has failed and works sometimes if pressed hard. I need the rhs one that is for tuning, just looks like it plugs in to the circuit board. CAS has no contact email for service or parts on their website. Can anyone in the USA help me, point me in the right direction or is the whole radio a chuck away and replace item?

hitest Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:22 pm

What costs more- a new radio or a long-distance phone call?

stickshift Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:26 pm

hitest wrote: What costs more- a new radio or a long-distance phone call?

It's more the cost of posting a radio overseas and paying for return postage. Even under warranty, assuming they would honour it, I would be up for that. Aussie postage is excessively expensive.

The company is uncontactable by email, they have a website but no email. What's with that?

All the info I've been given is that they deal only through their dealer network, but one dealer has told me to contact the company directly. I thought someone may have dealt with them in a similar situation and may have some insight.

joe56vw Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:11 pm

maybe there is no email so they don't get a ton of messages about stuff the dealer should be handling :roll:
or maybe they are more of a old school type of place that would rather take phone calls then emails :shock:

it seems like you got two choices either call them or just go buy another radio :wink:

coad Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:38 am

They're clearly not going to work with you:

Quote: Custom Autosound Mfg. has a strict policy regarding the sale of product to the public. We respect our dealer network and the efforts they make to operate their businesses. Custom Autosound will not sell products direct to the public or via online sources. Please use the dealer locater to find your closest CAM dealer.

So I guess it's one of their Australian Dealers or throw it in the trash:

Quote:
Automotive Technologies of Australia PH 03-5341 8454 www.automotivetech.com.au
Capital Classics (Mustang) PH: 02-6161-7669 www.capitalclassics.biz
Classic American Restorations PH: 08 8280 7193 email:[email protected]
My 409 PH:0407 409348 www.my409.com.au
Soundlabs Group Ph: 61-0 2 4627-8766 www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/
US GM Service & Restoration Parts PH:02-4257-1230 www.usgmsp.com email:[email protected]

Jacks Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:33 am

Charles Rollings at Woody's VW/Porsche Shop, Ph# 949-722-1084, www.woodyscustomshop.com in Costa Mesa, Ca. is quite knowledgeable and helpful with these radios.

stickshift Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:55 pm

Got in touch finally through an Australian dealer. They managed to get CAS to hook me up with a replacement knob free of charge, I just had to pay postage ($25 a bit excessive for a tiny part but cheaper than a new radio) - and I thought we aussies had the worst postage costs.

Jacks Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:08 pm

Wait a minute... You only needed a knob???

stickshift Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:58 am

Jacks wrote: Wait a minute... You only needed a knob???

Not the knob really but the switch spindle. If all I had needed was a knob I would have found something. But still it's a lot of postage on a small part.

hitest Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:03 pm

Awesome news sir! Anytime you don't need to involve a foreign embassy... 8)