TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Compression Question
Kashufo Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:03 pm

I just checked my squareback compression and this is my first time checking it on the head of the driver side I have little over 90 on both plugs and on the passenger side I have around 125 is there something wrong with the engine? or is normal? Please advice. thank you

Nate M. Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:35 pm

On a normal, healthy 1600 engine I would expect to see compression in the range of 115-135 on all cylinders. They should all be within about 10% of each other too. Here's a couple things you should do before re-checking:

1. Properly adjust your valves - tight valves will read low.
2. Warm-up your engine.
3. Pull ALL plugs.
4. When cranking the engine for the compression test, hold the throttle at wide open throttle (WOT) - this ensures the motor gets a full gulp of air.the

If you are still reading low, you may try re-torquing the lower 4 head studs on the low side. Then re-adjust the valves and try it again.

KTPhil Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:40 pm

Sounds like a loose head. I'd pull the motor and retorque both. One weekend's work.

GjMan Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:03 am

Here's a step I like to take when doing a comp check. Warm up the engine. Loosen then tighten each plug. Run engine for a few minutes. Then do the check. Once in a great while a piece of carbon knocked loose by removing the plug may temporarily lodge between the valve and seat and give that cylinder a false low reading. With this method, any stray carbon should be blown completely out of the chamber.

But in your case, with a low side and a higher side, you probably have more going on.