TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Removing herculiner in section without disturbing the rest?
IntrstlarOvrdrve Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:22 am

I know my car has the VIN stamped in the pan as I checked it before starting the resto. UNFORTUNATELY I didn't think about it from the time I disassembled the car to the time I painted the pan and rolled herculiner right over top of it and now it's not visible. After the amount of work I've done on the car I don't know that I'll ever want to get rid of it now and have no need to see the VIN, but on the other hand I don't want to be caught with my pants down in the event that I do want to sell it. How would one go about removing the herculiner on that one section of the pan without disturbing the rest of the coating? I don't want to ruin the rest of the paint.

Mike Fisher Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 am

VW just left about a 1" X 2" opening in the tar board to read the VIN. You have to leave it exposed for the DMV. I'd use a plastic scraper & a little lacquer thinner etc to make it look correct.

jspbtown Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:37 am

I would take a razor and make a rectangular cut around the VIN number in the pan. That will help you keep the edge defined and help with any lifting. The go scrape at it. Once scraped you can sand it down and pick out the Herculiner with a dental pick.

hitest Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:38 pm

1st- lay your favorite metal scraper in there (say 3/4") THEN make your cuts based on its size. That way, you can go hog wild in there because your removal tool already fits. There is a chance, based on your prep of the area- that the piece can be lifted in one section. Then, you could roll a skim coat over the unadhered patch again for the clean look.