TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Heater channel front flap assembly
dpetteng Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:43 pm

On my 67 I have some of the parts for the slider and flap for the front heater channels but don't actually have the flaps or any idea how to put them together, anyone got any idea where I might get flaw and how to reassemble?

dpetteng Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:27 am

anyone?

MonT3 Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:33 am

Are you speaking of the flaps inside the lower vents where the heat channel begins to route upward towards the defrosters? Pic of the location and the pieces you have would help with this?

BerT3 Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:07 am

I have several used ones left - I sold out my NOS ones though

BerT3

Bobnotch Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:05 am

MonT3 wrote: Are you speaking of the flaps inside the lower vents where the heat channel begins to route upward towards the defrosters? Pic of the location and the pieces you have would help with this?

That was my thought too, when I saw this post. Any pics of what you have? I'm only asking, as I know late models use an internal flap (covered in the Brown Bentley), while early cars use a gray sliding cover (covered in the Blue Bentley).

ataraxia Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:53 am

Bobnotch wrote: MonT3 wrote: Are you speaking of the flaps inside the lower vents where the heat channel begins to route upward towards the defrosters? Pic of the location and the pieces you have would help with this?

That was my thought too, when I saw this post. Any pics of what you have? I'm only asking, as I know late models use an internal flap (covered in the Brown Bentley), while early cars use a gray sliding cover (covered in the Blue Bentley).

Isn't 67 the first year of the later/internal flap or did it change in 66?

Bobnotch Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:05 am

ataraxia wrote: Bobnotch wrote: MonT3 wrote: Are you speaking of the flaps inside the lower vents where the heat channel begins to route upward towards the defrosters? Pic of the location and the pieces you have would help with this?

66 still used the slider. I wasn't sure what 67 used, as I've never owned a 67 (a 66 and 68 yes).

ataraxia Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:52 am

Bobnotch wrote: ataraxia wrote: Bobnotch wrote: MonT3 wrote: Are you speaking of the flaps inside the lower vents where the heat channel begins to route upward towards the defrosters? Pic of the location and the pieces you have would help with this?

66 still used the slider. I wasn't sure what 67 used, as I've never owned a 67 (a 66 and 68 yes).

67 has the flaps.

I checked the parts book and it shows that the flaps started in 66...but I thought the 66 still had 3 bolt hinges and sliders. :-k

311 298 111
1 flap set with operating mechanism for front foot well heating
from Ch. No. 316 000 001

Bobnotch Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:29 pm

ataraxia wrote: Bobnotch wrote: ataraxia wrote: Bobnotch wrote: MonT3 wrote: Are you speaking of the flaps inside the lower vents where the heat channel begins to route upward towards the defrosters? Pic of the location and the pieces you have would help with this?

67 has the flaps.

I checked the parts book and it shows that the flaps started in 66...but I thought the 66 still had 3 bolt hinges and sliders. :-k

311 298 111
from Ch. No. 316 000 001

Yeah, I just looked thru it myself. It appears that some of the early 66's still used the sliders (probably with the 3 bolt hinges )probably Squares)), and the rest got switched over to flaps. I know all Notchbacks kept the sliders though, so maybe that's why the parts book is still calling them out too. :wink:

ataraxia Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:31 pm

Bobnotch wrote: ataraxia wrote: Bobnotch wrote: ataraxia wrote: Bobnotch wrote: MonT3 wrote: Are you speaking of the flaps inside the lower vents where the heat channel begins to route upward towards the defrosters? Pic of the location and the pieces you have would help with this?

67 has the flaps.

311 298 111
from Ch. No. 316 000 001

Yeah, I just looked thru it myself. It appears that some of the early 66's still used the sliders (probably with the 3 bolt hinges )probably Squares)), and the rest got switched over to flaps. I know all Notchbacks kept the sliders though, so maybe that's why the parts book is still calling them out too. :wink:

I just looked through the classifieds at the 66 cars for sale. Looks like the only model without the flaps in 66 was the Notchback (based on what's in the classifieds right now).

dpetteng Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:55 am

Sorry all, you are right, my 67 has the flaps that are internal to the heater channel and have a slding knob above it that pull a cable to operate the flap. I don't have pics as the car is at the trimmers.

Dave

MonT3 Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:55 am

The rockers pieces from my 66 donor carcass had flaps as well as my 67.

If you plan on removing these be patient about it as the plastic that holds the flap in place are more than likely brittle. There is a clip that is attached to the flap and a wire that is attached to the clip that runs upward thru a tube to the knob that controls the flaps opening an closing.

When I removed my flaps, I used a long nose pliers and a screw driver to work the clips off, then the pliers to grab the clips/wire and pulled it thru the vents (assuming the knob has been removed and the wire is free.

Good luck with it. Just take your time BUT be prepared to search out those plastic pieces in the event you get a little aggressive with removing the flap.

Bobnotch Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:51 am

MonT3 wrote: The rockers pieces from my 66 donor carcass had flaps as well as my 67.

If you plan on removing these be patient about it as the plastic that holds the flap in place are more than likely brittle. There is a clip that is attached to the flap and a wire that is attached to the clip that runs upward thru a tube to the knob that controls the flaps opening an closing.

When I removed my flaps, I used a long nose pliers and a screw driver to work the clips off, then the pliers to grab the clips/wire and pulled it thru the vents (assuming the knob has been removed and the wire is free.

Good luck with it. Just take your time BUT be prepared to search out those plastic pieces in the event you get a little aggressive with removing the flap.

This is where the brown Bentley is your friend, as it's covered in the body section.