TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: '71 UK Fasty Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Chino_UK Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:23 am

Hey everyone, been floating around in the background for a little bit whilst helping my other half with her 1303s, recently acquired a Type 3 that needs a little TLC.

Upon getting my hands on it I knew some love would be required:

We decided the best thing to do was strip out the interior to see what we were working with:

KTPhil Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:52 am

Interesting model to US eyes... is that a gas heater in the front trunk, or was a different fuel tank installed? And despite being carb'ed, it has a 1600E badge, not 1600 TL.

Looks pretty straight and clean. How's she run?

Chino_UK Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:02 am

KTPhil wrote: Interesting model to US eyes... is that a gas heater in the front trunk, or was a different fuel tank installed? And despite being carb'ed, it has a 1600E badge, not 1600 TL.

Looks pretty straight and clean. How's she run?

there's a few puzzles with the car...the tank in the front is probably due to one of the previous owners smoothing out the filler flap on the wing. And yep, I'm puzzled by the badge, I can't see any wiring where the ECU would have been for FI, so guessing she's been badged incorrectly by someone at some point?

Chino_UK Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:02 am

The shopping list began:

I then decided to turn my attention to seeing how good or bad the paint was with a good detox and buff:

Chino_UK Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:03 am

Next up I set about cleaning up the floorpans

I attacked the surface rust

Treated any areas needing it

And removed the knackered earth strap

Chino_UK Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:04 am

I zinc primered the floors:

Hopefully that's the last ill have to worry about corrosion for a while.

Chino_UK Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:06 am

Then went about putting the bumpers back on, a previous owner had taken them off:

Cheeky urethane steering coupling.

Got the front bumper on:

Then stripped old knackered seals off and cleaned up

Got the wooden door card off

Chino_UK Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:07 am

Saturday my dad and I got the bonnet seal fitted:

The boot seal:

And the passenger door seal:

Please note that was part way thru I did get the rest stuck down.

Stripped the old seal off drivers side but realized I didn't have enough evo stick so will complete that tomorrow. I also stuck down the trim in the boot that had come unstuck.

Chino_UK Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:07 am

Put the drivers side door seal on and fitted the door card I'd bought second hand:

Also took the hub caps off to check all the wheel bolts. Whilst they were off I gave them a polish and seal:

And finished regluing the boot side trims up:

Mark Shutt Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:44 am

I was thinking if it were a genuine 1600E then the tank would have a return inlet for the FI but it's a different tank anyway so that's that theory out of the window :lol:

on the nearside rear panel is there a cut out/cover plate where the EFI unit should have been? like in the picture below.

[img]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5HaWD7XxkyoQ2Ilnl0jpCB6rGLLfgz_9PCw3EktDU1VlfDANxvQ[/img]

Bobnotch Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:47 am

Chino_UK wrote:

And finished regluing the boot side trims up:

The car looks good. 8) Looks like they repainted it in the original color, if not, it's still OE paint. Either way it's really nice.
Going off this shot, the car originally came with FI, and was converted to carbs. I say that, as the flap on the left covers the access hole for the ECU.
Keep up the good work.

P.S. It's nice to see your girl friend take an interest in your project. 8) Not all women care to do that. :shock:

diesellibrarian Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:19 am

Love the stance of this car. That's just how I'd like my '70 to sit.

joey1320 Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:50 am

Super nice :lol:
Keep the pictures coming.

Chino_UK Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:20 pm

Thanks guys :) yep definitely a respray at some point, I've found some overspray :/

Here's as she stands

Chino_UK Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:57 pm

I was short on time the other week and needed top arms tightening up and new steering damper fitting so took it to a garage near my work :

They took some pics of the underside:

Fairly solid all in all.

MonT3 Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:50 pm

Very nice looking. I like the parking assignment also. VW under awning, all others out!

Otto1969 Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:15 am

Great work so far. looks super solid for a UK car. Love the drivers seat cover :wink:
Great to see the Mrs looking so enthusiastic. Wish mine was keen to spend time with me while I tinker!
Enjoy your ride.

vlad01 Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:30 am

I see you got the exact same door trims common here down under. 8)

Chino_UK Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:22 am

Thanks for the kind comments guys :)

I just got the car booked in for a custom headlining along with pillar trims at month end. Also, my ISP West chrome exhaust trim arrived so will get that on when I get home hopefully :)

Slow 1200 Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:40 am

the 1600E badge is from a notchback probably, a Fastback would have 1600TLE if injected