TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: New to bajas...Maybe clutch problems?
Kahriztolf Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:20 am

Can somebody please help. I have a 63 VW baja bug that wont move when I shift into gear. I had a friend jump in and turn the engine on, shift it into first and let out the clutch. The cv and axel turn on the passenger side but the wheel does not turn, and the cv and axel on the drivers side does nothing but stay still with the wheel also not turning. No luck in any other gear or rev. as well.

vwracin2win Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:40 am

A 63 with cv axles? The only way that will happen is if you have a newer pan or it's been converted to IRS. Either way, it sounds like your brake drum on the passenger side is stripped out and needs replacing. Happens occasionally. Take that brake drum off and have a look.

BUGGUTZ Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:36 pm

Have him do it again and see if the center nut is turning.

Kahriztolf Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:22 pm

Thank you so much for the replies. Yes, it has been converted to IRS with a built 002 pyramid tranny. Had my friend jump in again , and yes the center nut is spinning.

vwracin2win Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:55 pm

The drum is stripped.

Dale M. Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:22 pm

Ditto on stripped brake drum.... Usually happens because last person to put axle nut on did not tighten it correctly.... Specifications say 217ft lbs... And go tighter till next set of slots in castle nut lines up with holes in axle.... And yes use cotter pin... IF one side is loose, pretty good chance other side is same way and maybe close to stripping out (check it) ....

Dale