TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Burning through generator
gnarley72 Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:10 pm

I just picked up a 73 Squareback. The previous owner said he's been through 2 generators. I haven't been in the engine to much yet. Any ideas?

KTPhil Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:29 pm

Check grounds and also the wear of the commutator. Check the regulator, too.

Bobnotch Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:28 am

gnarley72 wrote: I just picked up a 73 Squareback. The previous owner said he's been through 2 generators. I haven't been in the engine to much yet. Any ideas?

Were they rebuilt ones? Or used ones? Remember, VW people are cheap. :wink:

brakeman22 Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:47 am

I had problems with a few generators in my 70 a while back. They were rebuilt ones and I think I put in 3 in the course of a year. I swapped the voltage regulator as well. I was young and didn't make time to check the grounds. I saved up for a DDB alternator kit and threw that on there and never had a problem since.

If it's running now, I would hang tight as there are some decent brackets for an alternator conversion that are in the final stages of production. There's a thread here and they look pretty nice. I think he's gonna want something in the area of $45 for them and they'll bolt right in. Much better than anything that has been available.

Otherwise if you're looking to stay stock follow Phil's advice.

jadney Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:59 pm

gnarley72 wrote: I just picked up a 73 Squareback. The previous owner said he's been through 2 generators. I haven't been in the engine to much yet. Any ideas?
Our generators are cooled by air blown up out of the fan housing. There is a large hole on the side of a Type 3 generator to let in that air, but the generator MUST be installed in the right rotational orientation for that to work.

Look at the top center of the generator hold down strap. There's a dot stamped there.

Now look at the generator. There is a fore - aft slash stamped on the side of the generator that should be lined up with the dot. If it's not, rotate the generator until it is. When you've got it right, the electrical terminals will be pretty far to the left.

I was at a shop once where the mechanic pointed to a generator he'd just replaced. He commented, "I've replaced tons of those generators." And there were the electrical terminals pointing straight up, the slash out of sight, and the cooling hole visible on the left, where it could do no good.

No wonder he replaced so many of them.... :cry: