TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: what frame is this
vwrailz Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:12 am

anyone know what type of frame this is

dowha Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:56 am

I don't know who made it.. But, I sure wouldn't want to be in it if it rolled over...

ORANGECRUSHer Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:04 pm

It's missing front shocks :shock:

I agree^. That looks like it's based on the basic berrien style frame. But no frame around engine? I don't like sand rails though.

I like tanks.

ORANGECRUSHer Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:05 pm

upon closer look, if that thing landed on it's roof, I'd dare say everyone would be dead, dead, dead.

SamT Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:29 pm

That was a fairly common chassis in 2 seater version in the early 80's. i donno who makes it, but ill ask a friend that has one if he knows.

Im not sure what the safety concern you guys are seeing is. Keep in mind it weighs 1200lb + say 800lb of passengers.

vwrailz Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:12 pm

yea found it for sale so far as the roof you can always add bars

Mal evolent Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:13 pm

my head would stick out 3". that's a stumpy guy ride.

shephard_scott Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:32 am

I'm pretty sure it is a stretched two seater. The center looks like it's been cut and lengthened. Probly why the roof design is not that good.

dustymojave Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:20 am

The smoking Chimp is right :!:

It's a standard 2 seat shortback frame which has been stretched in the middle. Those frames have been manufactured by many companies over the past 40 years. I believe Sand Toys in California was the original designer of them. I owned one in 1976. I believe Berrien also made them many years ago.

But the stretch job doesn't look like it was well done. I would want to replace that frame with a new one designed to be a 4 seater.

dustymojave Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:53 am

Maybe I should be more specific about just what is not right about how this frame is stretched, since some of the posters don't see the issues.

It appears that larger tubing was used for stretching so it would slip over the original tubing. This is fine...As long as it is not fence pipe or water pipe or some other inappropriate material :shock: ...And as long as it is slipped over the original tubing at least 3" and is rosette welded to it. There is no way to tell from the photos, I would have to personally inspect it and its about 3,000 miles away.

:idea: Also, the joint in the roof bars is right at the bend, which will concentrate forces in a roll right at that point and cause it to fail right there. Adding a 'B' Pillar to the cage from the top rail right at the lower vertical truss member at the back of the front seat, and extending up to the roof at the bend, with a cross tube between the roof bars would make that part OK.

:idea: Then to make it strong enough to not collapse laterally in a roll, it should get a diagonal bar and shoulder bar in the 'B' pillar hoop. I know its not a race car, but a friend's sister died from hitting her head in a 30 mph roll on a graded dirt road. A diagonal in their roll cage would have let her live to see her beautiful daughter to prom and graduation and off to college just a few months later.

All of the above fixes will make it a fine frame. But ONLY IF the basic stretch job was done right as discussed above. I honestly doubt that it was.

If it counts for anything...I LOVE the blue paint!

shephard_scott Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:28 pm

It could be made a safe buggy. You would have to put the time and money into reinforcing the frame like the woodsbuggy guys do. As long as it doesnt dog track like it is now it wouldnt be that bad once it was beefed up. I picked up my frame cheap and modified it till it was unrecognizable. If you dont have the tools to do this dont do it, it would be too expensive.

ORANGECRUSHer Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:01 pm

Richard, what do you mean by rosette? Are you thinking the same thing as a plug weld?

ORANGECRUSHer Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:15 pm

these are all areas that will fold up upon any impact.
I'm especially surprised anyone would bother with those kinked roof bars. Their not worth the paint that was sprayed on them.
That being said anything can be reworked. You just have to ask whether it's worth it.

Edit: I retract my statement about the roof bars. After going home and looking at my own I can see how they can appear to be 'kinked' and be fine.

shawn407 Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:59 am

Some idiot cut the shock towers and welded the front beam on .... :P :lol:

dustymojave Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:07 pm

The roof bars with a bend is not a problem. My Hi Jumper got endoed 4X while flat out in high gear during a race and the roof bars bent like these were completely undamaged, in spite of direct contact. The span was not nearly so far though. And they did NOT have a joint right at the bend.

Regarding the "rosette weld"... That is also known as a plug weld. In a sleeve joint, you drill a hole through the outer tube before assembly. NOT through the inner tube. Once the outer tube is slid into place over the inner tube, you tack the joint and then weld the outer tube to the inner tube through the drilled holes.

I don't remember where on the internet I got this drawing, but it's good info.