TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: different types of engines...
chubaca6613 Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:51 pm

Hey guys I'm one of those that likes to figure things out before I hop into a project. Wat I'm looking for is guys running non vw engines and wat kind of fuel milage your getting and what trannys youve got them hooked up to. Also iv seen a lot of efi engines going in but has anyone put a carbuerated engine in? Plus I would love to see pics of your guys set ups.

jsturtlebuggy Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:59 pm

What are you plan on building car wise? More information helps.
I have a Subaru 2.5L powered buggy, 70MPH, 3,000RPM 20-22MPG. Not very aerodynamic, but lots of fun to drive.

Using the search function you will find many threads of different builds.

chubaca6613 Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:21 pm

Pretty much a class 5 is wat I'm wanting to go with and I have looked at a bunch of different builds on here just haven't seen a carbed engine other than vw maybe I'm just blind? And the fuel milage thing I'm just interested to see wat different engines get with such a light weight vehicle

shred625 Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:29 pm

I am assuming you want to build it as a baja and not a class 5. You can only run certain engines in a class 5 car.

chubaca6613 Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:42 pm

Ya shred that's wat I ment Baja not race car

shred625 Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:45 pm

Somebody might be able to ball park and answer for you but every build is different and I would just be guessing. There are a lot of things at play here.

To name a few:

car weight
tranny gearing
tire size
motor build
drag

KrAzY-BaJa Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:54 pm

few simple steps in building a offroad car....

Saftey- building a cage to keep everything together and to keep you alive on how fast you want to go.
Suspension- how fast do you want to go with out breaking down every trip (and this is the #1 factor in speed)
Transmission/Axles- How hard you can beat it.
Then Engine

you can have a 200+hp blah blah whatever with stock suspension ,break and be frustrated and go slower than a Vw AC powered car with more travel that can handle hard abuse

no1clyde Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:56 pm

I put a Toyota 1FFZE in my buggy with a 002 transmission and I am very happy. Doesn't seem to be a popular motor but KEP makes a adaptor for it and it runs awesome. It is 1800cc with variable cam timing and fuel injection out of a 2000 Corolla. I get around 25 plus MPG driving it pretty hard at times.

I am gathering parts to build a Baja Bug myself and have a Subaru EJ22 for it. Haven't started working on it yet gut getting stuff to use in it.

The motor

The wiring harness

and the transmission, a 091 front side shift

I like the fuel injected motors, I also built a 67 Ford Ranchero for my daily driver using a injected 5 liter that runs great too.

Ed

vwracin2win Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:57 pm

Check out krazybaja he has a carbed 22r (last I checked). Pretty cool setup and those 22r's will go forever!

KrAzY-BaJa Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:17 pm

vwracin2win wrote: Check out krazybaja he has a carbed 22r (last I checked). Pretty cool setup and those 22r's will go forever!
It iss indeed haha and I have gotten upwards of 35mpg from sacramento to Carson city NV. :shock: