TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1972-73-74 Type IV (4) Engine Tins Page: 1, 2  Next
Tcash Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:33 pm

To link to this thread copy and paste
Code: [url=http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=585135&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=tin]1972-73-74 Type IV (4) Engine Tins[/url]

1973 Type 4 Engine Tin
Thanks to jersylooker for the Fiche.
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche

Thanks to mayor ratwell.
http://www.ratwell.com/dotmac/Sites/Type4/PhotoAlbum81.html

Please do not take the fan apart. You would need to realign and balance it.

Complete series playlist Part 1-6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB4soH8Wolk&list=PL5l9C9G7d1xnQvVwQeFtSE7DZuJfF_sOJ

Thanks to pantone149 for the pics.

Air Cleaner Brackets

Prt#021 129 545 A Note: 1972 it is short.

Prt#021 129 545 B Note 1973-74 is longer.

Wasted youth Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:04 pm

Yay! =D>

Kick ass...that is timely indeed, as I am going through my rebuild of that engine. Thanks!

sparky892 Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:27 am

Tcash wrote: 1973 Type 4 Engine Tin
Thanks to jersylooker for the Fiche.

Thanks to pantone149 for the pics.

Do you have any of these parts for sale?

raygreenwood Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:37 am

And parts #010-33 and# 010-10....are only carburetor specific correct?
Ray

aeromech Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:19 am

Tcash,
You are the best. Thanks from all of us for your fantastic thread donations to the samba.

Kick Kombi Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:07 pm

Tcash wrote: It has been brought to my attention by aerosurfer that this tin is for 75-78 .

aerosurfer wrote: "The picture above is tin specific to the stock 75-78 exhaust system."

Thank you aerosurfer!

Does anyone know if you can buy all this tin or majority of it as a package from any companies?

Tcash Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:17 pm

Kick Kombi wrote: Does anyone know if you can buy all this tin or majority of it as a package from any companies?

I don't know of anyone reproducing these. Used from salvage yards is your best bet.
Tcash wrote: VW Business Listing

Good Luck
Tcash

Wildthings Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:22 pm

Kick Kombi wrote: Does anyone know if you can buy all this tin or majority of it as a package from any companies?

A wasted engine destined for the scrap heap may well have a complete or nearly complete set of tins. Check with VW clubs in your area, go to shows, and watch the classifieds.

Kick Kombi Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:28 pm

Tcash wrote: Kick Kombi wrote: Does anyone know if you can buy all this tin or majority of it as a package from any companies?

I don't know of anyone reproducing these. Used from salvage yards is your best bet.
Tcash wrote: VW Business Listing

Good Luck
Tcash

Thanks Tcash,
Had done a bit of searching online and I couldn't find any and thought I would ask just in case.
I may not need it, the guy I purchased my Kombi off says all the tinware is with it, I'm doubtful however. Got a few salvage yards here in OZ that I will contact if needed. Thanks again.

Tcash Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:12 am

Tcash Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:15 am

Type IV (4) Engine Tin installation

Thanks to mayor ratwell.
http://www.ratwell.com/dotmac/Sites/Type4/PhotoAlbum81.html

old DKP driver Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:20 am

Wow Tcash this is some nice work you have compiled here 8)

Tcash Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:45 am

old DKP driver wrote: Wow Tcash this is some nice work you have compiled here 8)
Thank You
Tcash

Alan Brase Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:51 pm

Kick Kombi wrote: Tcash wrote: It has been brought to my attention by aerosurfer that this tin is for 75-78 .

aerosurfer wrote: "The picture above is tin specific to the stock 75-78 exhaust system."

Thank you aerosurfer!

Does anyone know if you can buy all this tin or majority of it as a package from any companies?
As long as we are trying to document this type 4 sheet metal: The picture shows mid 76-78 sheet metal. the first generation FI engine utilized an intake preheat tube that went below the rear sheet metal and saddled the crossover pipe to heat the air.
VW got rid of this when they went to the 6 wire AFM. I guess they figure the better sensor allowed the FI to just function correctly with only cold intake air. So, I guess the sheet metal should be used with the correct AFM.
Al

Tcash Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:53 am

1972-74 T2 Warn air channel (sled) Tin Right

Busstom Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:29 am

Alan Brase wrote: Kick Kombi wrote: Tcash wrote: It has been brought to my attention by aerosurfer that this tin is for 75-78 .

Thank you aerosurfer!

As long as we are trying to document this type 4 sheet metal: The picture shows mid 76-78 sheet metal. the first generation FI engine utilized an intake preheat tube that went below the rear sheet metal and saddled the crossover pipe to heat the air.
VW got rid of this when they went to the 6 wire AFM. I guess they figure the better sensor allowed the FI to just function correctly with only cold intake air. So, I guess the sheet metal should be used with the correct AFM.
Al

Are items #10 mandatory? I'm sure they are :x

I'm pissed that I just realized they were missing from my engine...and now I need some. Same two P/N's thru all the T-4 years?

timvw7476 Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:48 am

mandatory if you want to drive somewhere.

Alan Brase Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:57 am

[quote="Busstom"] Alan Brase wrote: Kick Kombi wrote: [

I'm pissed that I just realized they were missing from my engine...and now I need some. Same two P/N's thru all the T-4 years?
Good news is that these can be installed by only removing the rocker arms, pushrods, and tubes. Seems I had an "oh shit" moment one time involving their installation. keep all pushrods and rocker in exact same locations and setting the valves will be a matter of only checking them.

Busstom Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:00 pm

[quote="Alan Brase"] Busstom wrote: Alan Brase wrote: Kick Kombi wrote: [

Good news is that these can be installed by only removing the rocker arms, pushrods, and tubes. Seems I had an "oh shit" moment one time involving their installation. keep all pushrods and rocker in exact same locations and setting the valves will be a matter of only checking them.
Thanks Al. Even better news: I'm not there yet :D But I'm rounding that corner real soon here :wink:

jtauxe Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:16 pm

Tcash wrote: ...1973 Type 4 Engine Tin
Thanks to jersylooker for the Fiche...

I have a couple of similar but not identical pieces of tin, and am keen to find out which goes to which year Type IV engines.

In the fiche above, there is a part called, maybe 21A. It's the grommet on the front edge (towards the front of the vehicle) of the right sled tin (21), or warm air channel. I have two sled tins for the right side. One has the hole with the grommet, and the other does not. Are there particular years that these go to?