TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Transmission help. Hard to shift into gears
bnelson1980 Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:56 pm

Hello,

So, I installed a new shift rod, welded on a shift rod adjuster, installed a new shift rod bushing kit and a new urethane shift coupler. I haven't been able to drive the buggy, but when I try to shift it in gears (running or not) it's really difficult. What else could be the problem? Could it be inside the transmission?

I also noticed when I had the back end jacked up and the engine running, only the rear passenger tire spins.

Below are pictures of the swing trans before I installed the parts. Just wanted you to see what I am working with.

I appreciate your help!

Multi69s Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:57 pm

Did it shift okay before you made the changes?

Since you have a weld on shift adjuster, it may not be set right. Sometimes they can be a real bear to setup. When it does go into gear, does the shifter look like it is the right location? Also check the nose cone for excessive play. It sounds like you have some form of alignment issue and things are binding up.

bnelson1980 Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:01 pm

Multi69s wrote: Did it shift okay before you made the changes?

Since you have a weld on shift adjuster, it may not be set right. Sometimes they can be a real bear to setup. When it does go into gear, does the shifter look like it is the right location? Also check the nose cone for excessive play. It sounds like you have some form of alignment issue and things are binding up.

No, it's been like this since I acquired it. How much play should be in the nose cone?

What about one tire spinning and the other not when the rear end is off the ground and the throttle is applied?

71StandardReduction Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:32 pm

Have you checked the amount of resistance of the rear brake shoes? Could be causing the one tire to sit still if one has more resistance.
You said you changed the shift rod bushing kit, are you referring to the bushing at the shifter end?
I'm assuming you have changed trans oil and inspected for rust, metal, dirt and any other debris, passed inspection and refilled with new oil?
I wouldn't say that the shift shaft in the nose cone should have any play that can be recognized by just moving it with your hand. If it does then I'd replace it or put a new bushing&seal in it, which ever you prefer.

bnelson1980 Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:52 pm

I actually just removed the passenger drums and they need to be completely rebuilt. I'm sure the drivers side is the same. I ordered all new brake parts and plan on completing that this weekend.

I did replace the shift rod bushing at the shifter.

71StandardReduction Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:03 pm

Ok, as far as gear selection,being that its adjusted correctly, all you have left is the nose cone bushing and the "hockey stick" selector that's inside the nose cone.
The rest is inside the transmission.
Not sure how you do it but,
When I adjust one I shift the trans into first and hook the shift coupler up with the shifter in first, adjust until it shifts easily into first with the shifter in a self supported position rather than forced all the way to the left. I then go to reverse, same procedure. After that I leave the coupler coupled and adjust for the happy medium between the two gears.
Usually works fine for me that way rather than starting in neutral.

Multi69s Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:09 am

X2 ^^^

As far as why only one wheel spins, that is due to the differential action. If you stopped the one wheel from spinning, then the other one would then spin. If you had a Limited slip differential, then both wheels would spin.