TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 009 ignition problems/initial startup problems
Originalimport23 Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:05 pm

hello fellow volksheads i have this fresh motor that i have put together, and i have multiple tomes dropped the dizzy drive in make sure it is aligned correctly and it still wont fire.
this motor has not had its first start but cranks wonderfully.
it has a 009 with white stripe points and green wire condenser that has been tested multiple times and everything works perfectly
when i crank it it just backfires out of the exhaust, but only when i give it fuel.
any suggestions.
maybe the internal of the distributor is bad?

Kjell Roar Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:22 pm

Find a better dizzy, the kinese 009's have often wrong ignition curve.
A guy tested 5 of them, none got the same curve.

Find eg a WBX one.

Originalimport23 Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:24 pm

i was considering that but my distributor was taken out of my ol motor and it works perfect, but it doesnt take much for something small internally to break in a dizzy i suppose? any other input people?

SBD Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:31 pm

If it's backfiring out the exhaust it sounds like it's installed 180 degrees off.

Kiptere Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:36 pm

Just keep turning the dist about 10 degrees at a time until it starts and then fine tune it from there.

Originalimport23 Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:51 pm

SBD wrote: If it's backfiring out the exhaust it sounds like it's installed 180 degrees off.
i considered that it was 180 out but i have had a motor that was 180 out and it backfired out of the carb.
i will take this in consideration again.

itHaKa Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:58 pm

are you sure the disributor went all the way down on the case ? , sometimes due to the clamp it may not engage properly the with distributor drive pinion

i would find tdc for cylinder 1, put in tdc mark on the pulley, remove the valve cover, and exhaust and intake valves should be closed for #1 and exhaust valve for #2 rocking
the rotor on the distributor sould be pointing to 5 oclock
then follow this procedure ( 7.5 btdc) , and should start
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=787INwvir24

jspbtown Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:33 pm

9 times out of 10 it is just something silly that you overlooked.

I can't tell you how many times I was "100% positive" everything was right only to find out I did something stupid.

Dale M. Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:49 pm

Besure #1 cylinder is TDC (actually 7.5° BTDC) on COMPRESSION stroke (both valve closed), rotated distributor till rotor points to scribe line in case, put #1 plug wire in cap tower that rotor and scribed line are indexed to set firing order from there.... IT will fire IF, points are opening/closing, coils has 12 volts and carbs have fuel...

Dale

Originalimport23 Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:22 pm

so #3 exhaust and intake rock on tdc meaning 180 out?

Originalimport23 Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:24 pm

best solution to fixing 180 out, flip dizzy drive or just plug wires

Originalimport23 Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:50 pm

jspbtown wrote: 9 times out of 10 it is just something silly that you overlooked.

I can't tell you how many times I was "100% positive" everything was right only to find out I did something stupid.

it ended up not being 180 out, but just getting point gap spark and fuel and in sync for the very first time

Dale M. Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:53 pm

Originalimport23 wrote: jspbtown wrote: 9 times out of 10 it is just something silly that you overlooked.

it ended up not being 180 out, but just getting point gap spark and fuel and in sync for the very first time

Sounds like you go to fire off?

Dale