TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Funky air cleaner setup Page: 1, 2  Next
Awesome dave Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:48 pm

A few people commented on my air cleaner set up
I have taken some close up pics but can't find any part numbers on them but you I'm sure someone can get all CSI on this.

As I'm new to type 3 town can someone let me know what the regular set up is and why this would be an improvement ?

KTPhil Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:54 pm

That looks to be an excellent setup. I am running stock FI, but I've seen a lot of dual carb setups that suck hot air. Yours has the advantages of the stock cold air intake and crankcase ventilation connections.

If it is from stock parts (VW or not) it may be a viable option if we can determine the correct part sources.

Is there a part number on the air filter element? That may give us a clue to the air box, at least.

Donnie strickland Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:02 pm

It's just unusual to see someone put so much time and effort into a non-stock setup, and so well-done.

joey1320 Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:10 pm

That is a really cool intake setup. Whoever had that vw really cared for it :lol: :wink:

Awesome dave Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:26 pm

The receipts I have say that the air cleaner Box was custom fabricated but was told the actual filter was from an early golf, I could not see any part numbers on the plastic ducting.
It does drive very nice I bought it in Tasmania in Australia and did a road trip to south Australia maybe 800 miles didn't use any oil and cruised beautifully :)

Mike Fisher Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:32 pm

This is a stock oil bath air clean for the stock dual Solex carburetors, but I'm wondering if you have aftermarket Weber carburetors on yours?

brakeman22 Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:46 pm

The filter box is definitely from a golf/audi/jetta, but with a modification made to the lid:

http://www.dragtimes.com/parts/AIR-FILTER-CLEANER-...08852.html

I'm not sure about the ducting. Very clean, though!

Edit:

It looks like the driver side elbow is off a 68-79 type 2:
http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Elbow-air-clea...tartRow=40

Awesome dave Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:08 pm

That's correct I believe they are webers which I assume are better then the original solex ones ?

Awesome dave Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:12 pm

brakeman22 wrote: The filter box is definitely from a golf/audi/jetta, but with a modification made to the lid:

http://www.dragtimes.com/parts/AIR-FILTER-CLEANER-...08852.html

I'm not sure about the ducting. Very clean, though!

Edit:

It looks like the driver side elbow is off a 68-79 type 2:
http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Elbow-air-clea...tartRow=40

The ducting looks right :) ( although it passenger side ;) as it is rhd )
The box looks right although it is made of metal not plastic but the size looks correct

brakeman22 Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:26 pm

Ah, I forgot you aussies do everything backwards down under.

Now that I look at the box, it does look different. There's no part numbers inside the box or underneath? I would be pretty surprised if they fabbed up the whole box.

Awesome dave Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:00 pm

brakeman22 wrote: Ah, I forgot you aussies do everything backwards down under.

Now that I look at the box, it does look different. There's no part numbers inside the box or underneath? I would be pretty surprised if they fabbed up the whole box.

No markings on the outside I will have a look and see if I can find anything inside. And I like to think of right hand drive as the correct way to drive ;)

KTPhil Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:55 am

Check the paper element itself for a part number. Then you can look up what applications it fits. This might give a clue.

Donnie strickland Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:33 am

Awesome dave wrote: That's correct I believe they are webers which I assume are better then the original solex ones ?

No, but they're fine. It's just that they come in a kit with all the linkage, etc. so it's easy for folks to do the install all at once instead of tracking down individual pieces.

catbox Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:43 pm

Awesome dave wrote: brakeman22 wrote: Ah, I forgot you aussies do everything backwards down under.

No markings on the outside I will have a look and see if I can find anything inside. And I like to think of right hand drive as the correct way to drive ;)

The builder could have shaved the numbers and identifying marks from the box...

Either way you have a cool setup.

KIDSPEED Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:44 pm

Not sure about the right side (although it to looks familiar), but the left "snorkel" from carb top to where it attaches on the center "T" looks to be either from a late model Ghia or Early Bay Bus air cleaner. Me likey! 8)

grantndub Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:21 am

This is an awesome setup. I think it's kind cool how it looks mostly to be VW parts. That airbox looks totally custom to me or at least modified. The hinges don't look right.

AlanInMass54 Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:32 am

This is indeed a neat setup. Looks like a mixture of factory items! I just can't determine the center tube source, yet. The outer tubes as mentioned look to be these:

Those are borrowed from the classifieds. The middle piece definately looks factory - but for what? Must keep looking!
*Edit
The middle part is for a dusty regions split bus optional air cleaner setup!

Bobnotch Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:47 am

Awesome dave wrote: A few people commented on my air cleaner set up
I have taken some close up pics but can't find any part numbers on them but you I'm sure someone can get all CSI on this.

As I'm new to type 3 town can someone let me know what the regular set up is and why this would be an improvement ?

Because most Weber carb kits use dual element air cleaners like the below shot has.

The dual air cleaners draw in hot air from around the engine, instead of cool air from the ducting like your car has.
That's why so many are interested in your set up. :D

dfelz Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:26 am

Has anyone else attempted to replicate this awesome setup!?! I would absolutely love this. I am trying to get cold air into my weber ICTs instead of hot air, what a concept. :lol:

HenrikL Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:03 am

I'm a stock guy myself, but I think this factory looking custom setup is very neat.