TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Klassicfab lower B-pillar fitting
Stocknazi Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:47 pm

I really did not know where to post this, so i started a new thread.
I am having a fitment issue with a klassicfab lower B-pillar on my bus.
This is the taller panel that goes all the way to the top of the dogleg.

First let me say, I have never fitted a tall b-pillar piece that included the cargo door mount, so i am not sure if it is something I am doing wrong or if I need to get a replacment piece; just want to make sure it is not something i am doing wrong before doing that.

When the b-pillar is held up against the og section, the profile matches pretty nicely, but the problem is the cargo door hinge slot is almost 1/2 inch too low

When the B-pillar cargo door slot is in line with the og slot , the profile at the bottom is incorrect; in this position it looks like it's too short.

Am I missing something or is the b-pillar slot in the wrong place?

Suggestions?

Gerson Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:02 pm

we will check this out first thing in the morning....if there is an issue with the pillar on our side, we will correct the problem and ship you out another one asap.......sorry about this... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Stocknazi Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:14 pm

Thanks Gerson; this piece was bought about 2 years ago so maybee the problem was already corrected. Just wanted to post the issue to make sure it was not something I was doing incorrect.

CaLiBus Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:45 pm

Just picked one up from Ronnie (bustoration) at OCTO for a driver side dbl door B pillar and had the same issue. Slot hole was also 1/4" more towards the center of pillar. Hope this helps

Stocknazi Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:08 am

Were you able to use the piece?

CaLiBus Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:58 am

StockNazi wrote: Were you able to use the piece?

Haven't installed it yet. What I have done so far was pull the inner hinge mounting plate out becuase of the mount being a bit too low. So I decided to go with the original mount still attached the B pillar. Accurate hinge mount placements are critical to get your doors all lined up with maybe 1/4 inch gaps. I will then patch up the existing slotted hole on the KF piece to cut out a more precise slot. The overall form and curvature on the KF B pillar looks great tho.

Stocknazi Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:29 am

CaLiBus wrote: StockNazi wrote: Were you able to use the piece?

Haven't installed it yet. What I have done so far was pull the inner hinge mounting plate out becuase of the mount being a bit too low. So I decided to go with the original mount still attached the B pillar. Accurate hinge mount placements are critical to get your doors all lined up with maybe 1/4 inch gaps. I will then patch up the existing slotted hole on the KF piece to cut out a more precise slot. The overall form and curvature on the KF B pillar looks great tho. Yeah, the profile looks really nice; i am thinking the problem is with the slot.
That's a problem for me, b/c I need to use the lower cargo door hinge as a reference point, as i have nothing else left. The rust extends too far up to only use the bottom 6 inches of the pillar.

I thought about moving the hinge slot, but the problem with that is the punched holes will have to be moved as well. I would do that too, but I am concerned when i move the holes and slot on the outter, the inner piece will be in the "old" position and will cause yet more problems.

CaLiBus Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:01 am

StockNazi wrote: CaLiBus wrote: StockNazi wrote: Were you able to use the piece?

Haven't installed it yet. What I have done so far was pull the inner hinge mounting plate out becuase of the mount being a bit too low. So I decided to go with the original mount still attached the B pillar. Accurate hinge mount placements are critical to get your doors all lined up with maybe 1/4 inch gaps. I will then patch up the existing slotted hole on the KF piece to cut out a more precise slot. The overall form and curvature on the KF B pillar looks great tho. Yeah, the profile looks really nice; i am thinking the problem is with the slot.
That's a problem for me, b/c I need to use the lower cargo door hinge as a reference point, as i have nothing else left. The rust extends too far up to only use the bottom 6 inches of the pillar.

I thought about moving the hinge slot, but the problem with that is the punched holes will have to be moved as well. I would do that too, but I am concerned when i move the holes and slot on the outter, the inner piece will be in the "old" position and will cause yet more problems.

If you have no OG hinge mount left and KF mount is off than you have NO reference to start with. You need to rethink your approach and measure off the other existing (assuming its not rusted out also) rear cargo door lower hinge for measurements. Remember there is a that inside screw plate thats adjustable to give you some breathing room if you don't get it exactly rt.

Yes on the punch holes also.

So in other words pull out the mount, patch up all the holes and go from there . Gerson will eventually get this rt for us.

Stocknazi Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:53 pm

I wanted to post a few more pics of my B-pillar.
You can see that the rust extends above the cargo door strap bracket on the dogleg side of the pillar.
If anyone has suggestions please post them.

Here are a couple of my C-pillar as well

Outlaw1929 Sun May 12, 2019 12:39 pm

Have you guys ran into the b pillar being to wide? Or am I doing something wrong?

thom Sun May 12, 2019 4:53 pm

Here was mine:

The two pieces of the lower b-pillar didn't even fit together. I knew I wasn't going to use it, so I sliced it open just so show how much hacking would be needed to make it go together.

Outlaw1929 Mon May 13, 2019 5:47 pm

Thanks for the pics, I think I will just have to pie cut mine and make it work.

Culito Mon May 13, 2019 9:07 pm

In my experience I'd expect every repair panel (KF, WW) to be at least 1/8" to 1/4" off.