TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Steering column
dpetteng Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:30 am

So, I am an idiot, I took apart my car 3 years ago and didn't take pictures so I am now ready to reassemble my steering shaft etc and have no idea what pars I am missing and where they go. I can't find any exploded diagrams either.

So what I have is the shaft, tube and housing. Housing is below and has the bearing fitted:

So I think I need 3 washers, some clips and a spring but not sure where they go?

Anyone can help?

ataraxia Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:20 am

dpetteng wrote: So, I am an idiot, I took apart my car 3 years ago and didn't take pictures so I am now ready to reassemble my steering shaft etc and have no idea what pars I am missing and where they go. I can't find any exploded diagrams either.

So what I have is the shaft, tube and housing. Housing is below and has the bearing fitted:

So I think I need 3 washers, some clips and a spring but not sure where they go?

Anyone can help?

Do you have the turn signal arm, the contact plate for the turn signal arm, the connection plate and the screws for both plates?

Is this picture all you have? If so, you're missing a lot of pieces.

dpetteng Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:32 am

yes sorry didn't really describe that bit, I have the lock cylinder fitted correctly and the turn signal ring and arm. Its mainly the steering shaft and steering wheel fitting bits I am confused about, and the makeup of the cancelling device.

ataraxia Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:10 am

If the lock cylinder is in place and the turn signal arm and contact plate are also installed, the cancelling ring should be on the back of the steering wheel.

It looks like this (I pulled this from the classifieds):

Your turn signal arm should have a clip to hold it to the column.

Can you post up a picture of what you have completed thus far? It'll help me understand what you may need at this stage.

MonT3 Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:57 am

I recently got in a column with a turn signal. I hope these pics help. This had two rings with a clip on it. once removed, the arm can be removed and placed to the side as it's wired. Be careful not to let the arm get knocked around as the springs and small pieces could come loose. After removing the arm, you'll see a plate with contact points. There are two small screws holding it in place. there are wires connected to it so again, be careful while handling it. However in your case, you'll be assembling it so you'll have to figure out how to feed the wires to the end of the column. I know this is somewhat short but I hope the pics help in re-assembling your column.

Clatter Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:59 pm

What year are the columns we are looking at?
Looks like '67??

ataraxia Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:30 pm

Clatter wrote: What year are the columns we are looking at?
Looks like '67??

67 is the OP's car.

The column is mostly the same from 61-67, although the 67 is technically a one year only column due to the lack of a column lock per spec.

dpetteng Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:51 am

Correct, a 67 it is. So mine is assembled with the ring and clip as you notice. the bit I am confused about is mounting the actual steering shaft in this housing and where the springs and washers go.

here is mine:

and the bits I am confused on are items 28, 30, 31 and 32?

MonT3 Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:33 am

Sorry to get back late on this post. Yes, 67 column. Looks like you have #29 in the column. #28 would be holding 29 in there. From there I think the below pic starting from left is #28,31, 30 but 32 is a ? I don't have an answer to.

Is it the c clip I posted in the pic? or is it possible to be the part that ataraxia posted in his post above (first pic)?

ataraxia Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:36 am

MonT3 wrote: Sorry to get back late on this post. Yes, 67 column. Looks like you have #29 in the column. #28 would be holding 29 in there. From there I think the below pic starting from left is #28,31, 30 but 32 is a ? I don't have an answer to.

Is it the c clip I posted in the pic? or is it possible to be the part that ataraxia posted in his post above (first pic)?

#32 is second from the left in your photo. You have all of the pieces shown.

They all attach to the actual steering column (the rod), not the column head (the piece with the ignition/turn signal arm).

dpetteng Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:15 am

ok, what border do they go on the actual shaft? As they are laid out on the photo or as they are laid out in the parts diagram, sorry for being dumb?

ataraxia Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:33 pm

dpetteng wrote: ok, what border do they go on the actual shaft? As they are laid out on the photo or as they are laid out in the parts diagram, sorry for being dumb?

In the order of the exploded diagram, AFAIK.