TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Fox reservoir vs emulsion
vwracin2win Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:50 pm

So I'm to the point I need to buy the front shocks for my car. Running a 6" wider torsion beam with the fuel cell under the hood for extra weight. Is it worth it to spend the extra money for reservoir shocks? I'm noticing there is actually a lot of people running the emulsion style. It will not be raced or beat on by any means saving a buck sounds nice but I don't want to cut corners and regret it.

KrAzY-BaJa Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:50 pm

those are the same thing. just the res. helps keep oil cooler and last longer
its worth it.

jps1145 Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:46 pm

KrAzY-BaJa wrote: those are the same thing. just the res. helps keep oil cooler and last longer
its worth it.
no, they're not the same. emulsion shocks mix the nitrogen gas charge and oil. reservoir shocks have a divider that separates the gas from the oil. Some non-reservoir shocks have the divider as well.
If it is just a play car, you'll be fine with the non-resi shocks. I'm partial to Bilstein. The 7100 series is a good shock that is owner rebuildable.

KrAzY-BaJa Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:01 pm

jps1145 wrote: KrAzY-BaJa wrote: those are the same thing. just the res. helps keep oil cooler and last longer
its worth it.
no, they're not the same. emulsion shocks mix the nitrogen gas charge and oil. reservoir shocks have a divider that separates the gas from the oil. Some non-reservoir shocks have the divider as well.
if you really need to get this technical :roll: both are oil filled and take Highpressure nitro. reservoirs are a must when offroading either way. my brothers fox Class11 shock res. are like 1-1/2 times bigger than the actual shock body for help cool.

md perf Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:15 am

get the res's and do it right. Bilsteins are great

vwracin2win Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:49 pm

thnks guys. ill go for the resi's. but i do agree bilsteins are awesome. i run them on all my trucks suv's and pretty much anything i can find them for. i just am going fox to match my fox coil overs in the rear. OCD kicking in... :oops: