TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Brake line install Page: 1, 2  Next
johnfraser Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:34 am

Can anyone please try and explain to me how to fit new brake lines in my 64 bug-It didn't have any when i bought it so I have nothing to follow.
I'm stuck on where to feed it through the centre of the car, and what to do with the metal clips which fit onto the rear axle and at the front by the beam. I have 6 of those so not sure where the other two go-or the grommets.
Any help would be great, I believe I have what I need, the already mentionned parts, the lines obviously and the T junction.
Thanks

Joey Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:20 am

johnfraser Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:30 am

Thanks very much for the diagram, haven't seen that before.
Just for to figure out how to feed that brake cable through with all those crazy curves in now!!? Anyone got any tips!

Joey Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:23 am

There are guide tubes inside the tunnel for the clutch cable, accelerator cable E-brake cables, heater cables and choke cable ('61 and earlier). Just feed the correct cable through the correct guide tube and it'll exit the chassis at the correct spot.

johnfraser Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:27 am

Are the brake lines included in that?
Thanks

pwmcguire Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:33 am

The brake line runs against the center hump on the inside of the car on the driver side. Look at the purple line. It is best to put a new brake line in if you car is that disassembled.

johnfraser Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:40 am

Oh right yes sorry I see that now, that's for the help.
Last question.....what are the grommets for, how many do you need and where do they go?
Thanks again

johnfraser Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:52 am

pwmcguire wrote: The brake line runs against the center hump on the inside of the car on the driver side. Look at the purple line. It is best to put a new brake line in if you car is that disassembled.

And just as a side question, I'm currently fitting my tie rods-why is your long one extended on the passenger side? It looks like its in two parts

vdubmyk Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:13 am

johnfraser wrote: Oh right yes sorry I see that now, that's for the help.
Last question.....what are the grommets for, how many do you need and where do they go?
Thanks again

The grommets go everywhere the brake lines runs through a hole. It helps prevent metal chafing as that will eventually cause a hole in the line.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/brakes/bug_brake/bug_brakes.cfm

The grommets are all the same #45 on the diagram, I believe it takes 3 of them, two in front and one in the rear of the car.

johnfraser Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:53 am

Thanks alot!

johnfraser Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:26 am

Sorry one last thing, how do the metal clips work?

60ragtop Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:33 am

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1001262
This what you are asking about?

johnfraser Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:41 am

Hi no I meant the two part metal clips that are on the rear axel, and also by the front axel. I think there might also be another two but not sure .

60ragtop Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:47 am

They just push on where the hard line and rubber line join at the bracket

KTPhil Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:52 am

To deal with the multiple bends and the difficulty of fitting the main line in an assembled car, some use two sections joined with a coupler located near the back seat kick panels.

pwmcguire Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:03 am

johnfraser wrote: pwmcguire wrote: The brake line runs against the center hump on the inside of the car on the driver side. Look at the purple line. It is best to put a new brake line in if you car is that disassembled.

And just as a side question, I'm currently fitting my tie rods-why is your long one extended on the passenger side? It looks like its in two parts

It Is a vw oem tie rod from 1966. It has since been changed.

pwmcguire Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:13 am

Here is a better picture with descriptions

johnfraser Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:52 am

Thanks everyone. This forum is the the tits, I don't know what id do without it!!!! Thanks again.

60ragtop Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:41 pm

KTPhil wrote: To deal with the multiple bends and the difficulty of fitting the main line in an assembled car, some use two sections joined with a coupler located near the back seat kick panels.
not a good idea in my book, it is not that hard to fit the line in with body on with out cutting it. keep it in one continuous piece JMHO

johnfraser Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:47 am

hi
can anyone please tell me where abouts the t junction at the back of the car bolts to? there seems to be a hole on it to do so but i cant find where to bolt it to

also..hand brake cables, when they come through the back of the car near the gearbox, where is it supposed to feed through until it gets to the brakes? ive done mine and it just seems loose, id like it to run through something or do something with it to look a bit neater if nothing else

thanks