TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Every Wheel Has Play: Time For The Shop?
Raphael Orlove Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:24 am

Howdy all, I'm getting my '73 Baja (I am this idiot http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6981463) ready for rallycross up in New Hampshire this sunday and a quick check last night revealed that

1) my right rear brake drum is cracked and

2) every wheel has play in it

So, I'm picking up new brake drums tomorrow which shouldn't be too hard to replace, but the wheel play is troubling.

Assuming the worst, that means my bearings are shot, right? Is this an easy thing to replace (as in, something I could do on Saturday morning having never done it before) or is this something that I should be taking the car to the shop for?

Sadly, the only aircooled specific shop in the NYC area is full up with cars at the moment, so I would be going to just some import car garage for the fix.

Here's how the car is looking these days

many thanks,
Raph

ORANGECRUSHer Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:22 am

Bearings are no big deal if you have a hammer and a drift and don't mind getting grease on ya. You can do it. Just hope you have a warm place to do it.

tripicana Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:07 pm

I would first make sure the rear hubs are torqued properly to see if it takes up any slack. And maybe just repack and adjust the fronts. The rear bearings usually tap right out, but a press is nice for the fronts.

Raphael Orlove Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:19 pm

ORANGECRUSHer wrote: Bearings are no big deal if you have a hammer and a drift and don't mind getting grease on ya. You can do it. Just hope you have a warm place to do it. wait, what's a drift? Also, it was snowing this morning. Fun times!

Raphael Orlove Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:23 pm

tripicana wrote: I would first make sure the rear hubs are torqued properly to see if it takes up any slack. And maybe just repack and adjust the fronts. The rear bearings usually tap right out, but a press is nice for the fronts. Come to think of it, is it easy for me to get at the rear drum at all? Won't it take some huge wrench to get access to it?

utahclaimjumper Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:36 pm

Judging from your questions, you will probably create more problems than repair.>>>Dan

Raphael Orlove Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:13 pm

utahclaimjumper wrote: Judging from your questions, you will probably create more problems that repair.>>>Dan This is a very fair assessment. I've since called a shop, who hopefully can help me out. Otherwise someone with more aircooled experience offered to help me up in NH if I still need work done.

Axitech Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:35 pm

On the rear hubs, make sure you have a VW nut on there holding the drum on and NOT an aftermarket nut. Especially look out for the 'gold' colored nuts. They are NOT the same size and will cause you a WORLD of grief. If you don't have a guy like DWP nearby to dig you out of that hole, you will spend countless hours and dollars trying to ID the problem.

md perf Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:13 am

what class are you running rallycross in? with the 'mods' that have been done, even the cosmetic ones make a huge difference. SCCA rules?