TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: worried I might have pinging
platatomi Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:12 pm

I have a noise that i am worried might be pinging... The engine has done it since I bought the car almost 2 years ago, but i never really thought anything of it. Last winter I replaced the top end since the PO destroyed it with overheating and bad timing.

Now it is a stock 1600 with 0.060 deck and stock heads, 009 timed to 30* max advance. I have dual solex carbs with 50 idle and 145 main jets. The prevoous carb ran way rich and the sound was the same so I dont think its lean. I have checked for vacuum leaks to.

When I accelerate in any gear I hear sort if a ticky rattly sound, sounds almost exactly like valve clatter but just seems louder when accelerating. Would valve noise change with load? Sounds the same engine hot or cold.

This is is pretty faint, it does not stand out and i never even hear it unless I am listening for it. It just sorta blends in with the rest of the engine and exhaust noise. I have never actually heared confirmed pinging before so I really dont know what to think about what I'm hearing. I do know, it sounds nothing like the examples of pinging ive found online. What do you think? Am i just paranoid?

fastfil Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:26 pm

Pull your spark plugs. If it has been pinging for a long time you will probably see metallic specks all over the tip.

Howard 111 Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:24 pm

Try putting Premium gas in it. If the noise stops, the CR is too high for Regular.

modok Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:55 pm

Try a few degrees more timing and a few degrees less. Or could try different gas, tho that's hard to compare quick. If it sounds the same then it is just some intake noise or your hood rattling ect.