TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Bostig RG1 install group....anyone? Also RG2 etc! Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
LeftCoastKiteboarding Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:07 pm

Hi guys,

I'm getting ready to instal my RG1 kit. Wondered if anyone ele out there was as well.

If so, maybe we can use this thread for support and encouragement etc...

Anyone?

boulderdrop Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:32 pm

What does RG1 mean? I know "Retail Group 1", but it's confusing... I'm Bostig v10 Group 10 from Jan 2010.

LeftCoastKiteboarding Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:47 pm

Yes, RG1 is what they are calling the first 'Retail' group. Somewhere they talk about this being the finalized version of the kit, with only minor tweaks moving forward.

RG1 just shipped last week so there must be a bunch of folks getting ready to do the transplant.

Anyway... Was hoping some others would be here on theSamba...

bdcain Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:56 pm

have fun
its easy peasy
can almost do with your eyes closed
whilst you wait for your kit there is plenty of things to prep before you slap it all back in
elbow room is your friend

JudoJeff Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:57 pm

I'm here and ready to install, just have to wait for warm weather. I think this winter will never end. The Westy is still buried in the snowbank somewhere.

Will be pleased to trade notes back and forth. Did you do the castle cuts on the cobrahead yet? That was easy but I had a bitch of a time getting it onto the throttle body. FYI, don't try KY jelly!

Camp&Ride Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:00 pm

There's a google group for bostig/zetec owners where conversion-specific questions can be fielded.

JudoJeff Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:45 pm

I've been told the group on google is defunct.

redeyeksc Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:00 pm

I am also part of RG1. We have our engine ready for transplant, and are also ready for this cold to end.

Unfortunately there is absolutely no way to get her in the garage height wise, so when this -30 with windchill weather ends we will start ripping out the old engine.

Anyone else having a hard time finding the ECU? I have been on the hunt for a while and haven't had any luck.

bdcain Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:38 pm

Anyone else having a hard time finding the ECU? I have been on the hunt for a while and haven't had any luck.[/quote]

take a look at the wreckers go with the proper tools and wade thru the piles of trucks ours took 3 afternoons of searching

redeyeksc Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:57 pm

I have been until this weather got really bad. You can't even see what the cars are through the snow.
The issue I'm having is all the rangers in the yards have the wrong engines in them to pull the ECU.
If I could find one it would be super easy, to remove.

JudoJeff Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:18 pm

This area has pages of them, look in CT or MA.

I paid around $25 and had it mailed to me from Worcester.

must50302 Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:20 pm

I am in the RG1 group. I have already finished with the install! took me about 46 hours to get the old motor out and put the new motor and kit installed and running. Here are a few pictures.

must50302 Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:22 pm

@redeyeksc i got my ECU from eBay. it works perfect and it had a 6 month warr.

LeftCoastKiteboarding Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:26 pm

bdcain wrote: Anyone else having a hard time finding the ECU? I have been on the hunt for a while and haven't had any luck.

Car-Part.com $20+shipping.

LeftCoastKiteboarding Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:27 pm

must50302.... Wow, you jammed on that! Glad to hear it is in. How does it drive?

must50302 Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:32 pm

well when i took it for first ride all i kept saying out loud is wow!! i think i said it like 20 times...lol i got the van to 90 mph without a signal problem at all!!! remember rpm are your friend....

LeftCoastKiteboarding Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:58 pm

Can't wait!! We're starting in the morning. Hope to have the Ztec bolted up by tomorrow night.

boulderdrop Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:20 pm

What are you guys doing for engines? Can you still get new crate engines? How's the junkeryards going?

must50302 Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:35 pm

@boulderdrop i was able to find a brand new crate motor. i just kept searching Google and i found one that a guy had sitting in his repair shop for some time.i paid $1500 for the motor shipped to my house. i think i was super lucky that the guy really did not know what he had...lol

LeftCoastKiteboarding Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:09 pm

boulderdrop wrote: What are you guys doing for engines? Can you still get new crate engines? How's the junkeryards going?

I went used. 33k, $600 to my driveway. Motor looks brand new. Totally clean.