TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: engine kits...which one and how big
dmorrison Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:15 pm

Hey guys I got a good usable as41 case and its time to build it ive been doin a lil searchin around and found a deluxe engine kit on carcraft here the link
http://carcraftstore.com/deluxeenginekit69or74mm.aspx

my questions are
if I go with the 74mm crank will I need to have my case stroker clearanced??
Is this a good kit to buy?? I want an all in one kit for my case to make it a long block so all I gotta do is wire it do the intake exaust and tins
what size should I build?? I was thinkin 74mm crank and 90.5mm cylinders. What size would that be and would it be a good motor for a daily driven weekend runner??

Any and all help is well needed thank you for ur time
david

75smith Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:13 pm

are you gonna machine the case for larger cylinders? because if you are it's not much more to get it stoker clearanced, then you ca go big

what is your budget?

also be aware of kits that don't quite mention actual part manufactures, and whether or not you are getting a cast or forged crank, cast or forged flywheel, NOT saying carcraft is bad(never used them) but vague descriptions can lead to iffy parts

miniman82 Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:21 pm

You're in Nebraska- nothing but highway unless you're in the city. That means you likely need something that can do 80 all day long without breaking a sweat, but it doesn't have to be big to do that. A 1915 with 3.88 gears, 120 cam, 40 IDF's and a merged header will get you there and should still have manners if you find yourself stuck in traffic.

dmorrison Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:04 pm

miniman82 wrote: You're in Nebraska- nothing but highway unless you're in the city. That means you likely need something that can do 80 all day long without breaking a sweat, but it doesn't have to be big to do that. A 1915 with 3.88 gears, 120 cam, 40 IDF's and a merged header will get you there and should still have manners if you find yourself stuck in traffic.

yep to true and im far from the city. The only vw shop is 2 hours from me...and thats why I wanna build my own stuff. Ive got a decent start I got a pair of 48 idf's or 44's not to sure right now and I havent ordered anything yet

dmorrison Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:10 pm

75smith wrote: are you gonna machine the case for larger cylinders? because if you are it's not much more to get it stoker clearanced, then you ca go big

what is your budget?

also be aware of kits that don't quite mention actual part manufactures, and whether or not you are getting a cast or forged crank, cast or forged flywheel, NOT saying carcraft is bad(never used them) but vague descriptions can lead to iffy parts

in order to fit the 90.5 cylinders I will have to machine the case but im not sure if ill have to get it stroker clearanced to fit a 74mm crank. My budget is around 2k plus whatever I can afford out of my checks. Thanks for the info I dont need any half ass parts plus imma newbee so im sure it wouldnt be hard to get one over on me

jtwaller Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:11 pm

74mm crank and 90.5 is a 1904cc. Great engine with lots of pep and all the longevity you want. Can be very fun stop light to stop light and no problem on those six hour road trips. Please ask me how I know. :twisted: 13.60 1/4 mile factory car street tires. Three shots down the track first time racer.

75smith Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:20 am

dmorrison wrote: 75smith wrote: are you gonna machine the case for larger cylinders? because if you are it's not much more to get it stoker clearanced, then you ca go big

what is your budget?

in order to fit the 90.5 cylinders I will have to machine the case but im not sure if ill have to get it stroker clearanced to fit a 74mm crank. My budget is around 2k plus whatever I can afford out of my checks. Thanks for the info I dont need any half ass parts plus imma newbee so im sure it wouldnt be hard to get one over on me
really no need to stroker clearance for 74mm, maybe some hand touch up with afile, and maybe some touch up on cylinder skirts(get everything balanced after clearancing, well worth the money) check out my thread below, used a 74mm crank and 5.4 "stock rods" have plenty of clearance on my case, but I have seen some cases that needed minor clearancing for rod bolts

biggest hurdle will be deck height and rocker geometry(to get proper push rod length)

here's my suggestion
74mm crank
90.5 pistons
5.4 rods
cb2242 Eagle cam grind
***40x35 valved heads dual springs(good, so ported, like L5's, cnc'ed 044's, or steve times stage 1 heads)
1.5" exhaust***
the 44's but jetted down, anything else may be too big
stock 1.1:1 rockers
CB lightweight lifters

***use L3's (35X32), CB 2241 cam grind, and 1-3/8" exhaust if you want to use stock heater boxes***

SBD Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:36 am

Where you at in Nebraska? I used to live in Bellevue. I'm just over the border in South Dakota now, but my mom still lives in south central NE. 8)

mark tucker Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:59 am

I WOULD BUILD AS BIG AS POSSIABLE. that way the motor dosent have to work hard. If using oe case 82~84 stroke max. your case probably needs machine work done any way so have it stroker clearanced when they also pull&tap the gallys&bore the cylinders to whatever size you decide on. check cb,drd,ac.net,bro's,AA,carcraft , and see how they talk&return emails&how thier service is.make a dississon on who you think will do you the best service. cheepest isant always the best, nor is the most expensive.it's up to you to decide. and remember you wont always get what you paid for but you will pay for what you get.

dmorrison Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:00 pm

SBD wrote: Where you at in Nebraska? I used to live in Bellevue. I'm just over the border in South Dakota now, but my mom still lives in south central NE. 8)

I live in bradshaw just west of york....or bfe

dmorrison Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:02 pm

mark tucker wrote: I WOULD BUILD AS BIG AS POSSIABLE. that way the motor dosent have to work hard. If using oe case 82~84 stroke max. your case probably needs machine work done any way so have it stroker clearanced when they also pull&tap the gallys&bore the cylinders to whatever size you decide on. check cb,drd,ac.net,bro's,AA,carcraft , and see how they talk&return emails&how thier service is.make a dississon on who you think will do you the best service. cheepest isant always the best, nor is the most expensive.it's up to you to decide. and remember you wont always get what you paid for but you will pay for what you get.

what about cylinder wall thickness I plan on driving this daily and want something to last

dmorrison Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:19 pm

I also failed to mention I have 10mm case studs which limits my bore slightly...right??

homebrew_86 Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:42 pm

dmorrison wrote: I also failed to mention I have 10mm case studs which limits my bore slightly...right??

I have an 82x94 clearanced AS41 with 10mm head studs. In order to keep some meat around my bore, I had my case machined for a 92mm cylinder and then just had the shop also turn the bases on my 94s down to fit the holes. Not that uncommon if you're stuck with 10mm studs.

do your studs already have case savers? you can have them installed and go with whatever size stud you prefer. They're available with various ID/OD combos.

Check it out!

http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=case+savers&sort=7

Just a thought.

homebrew_86 Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:50 pm

oh almost forgot. full flow that case!!!! as far as cost/benefit ratio goes, its the best thing you can do for any ACVW. well, IMHO anyways.