TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Distributor question
deerhunter2 Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:08 pm

Probably been asked and answered a hundred times before, but this dummy can't find it. Where the heck are the numbers on my distributor that will tell me which one I have? Really guys, I have looked and searched. My buggy currently starts and runs well, but I figure a tune up couldn't hurt, if I was just smart enough to figure out what I have and need.

vwracerdave Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:02 pm

The numbers are stamped on the main body unless you have a Chinese copy then there is nothing. I'm guessing you need the standard 009 tune up parts.

jtwaller Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:00 pm

What jets are you running in your progressive? What size engine do you have?

Glenn Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:02 pm

vwracerdave wrote: The numbers are stamped on the main body

deerhunter2 Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:28 pm

Ok, I'll look the main body over again, maybe they are on the back side where I can't see them. And jtwaller, I recently bought the buggy and am not in any way a mechanic, but I'm trying to learn. I have no idea what jets are in the carb. and I was told the motor is a 1641cc. I am reading on here that the progressive carb is junk, especially the empi ones, and the 009 dist. is junk. But my carb has empi stamped all over it and I'm guessing the dist. is an 009. Still the thing fires right up and runs great. I've been driving it in 24 to 45 degree weather with no problems and will have an accurate mpg when I fill up again, but appears to be around 20 so far. It isn't going to pull any wheelies but accelerates pretty darn good, with somewhere around 75 top speed. It might all go to hell and prove that all these junk comments are correct, (which I'm afraid of because I'm sure the folks on here know what they are talking about and I know that I don't know squat about it). But, I am hoping it stays running, and am trying to learn all I can about it so I can maybe work on it when I have to. I've been reading this forum till my eyes hurt. And appreciate all you folks help by the way.

deerhunter2 Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:30 pm

Thanks for the picture Glen. I believe those numbers would be turned toward the shroud on mine which would be why I haven't been able to see them. Looks like it is time to break out the mirror.