TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Tools You Use To Repair Your Bus
nice dad Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:55 am

With all the work involved in restoring my SC I am currently looking for suggestions on a good air compressor that can actually keep up with my pneumatic grinder. A stand up bolt down model is preferred. Home Cheapo has one for around $500.00.

It would also be cool if people would post some of the tools they use.

Rock on!

BulliBill Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:52 pm

I would highly recommend that you do NOT buy a "single-stage" compressor, but step up to a "two-stage" compressor head on whatever size air storage tank you can afford. More initial expense, but produces much more cu. ft. a minute and will keep up and stay ahead of most tools, and not wear out as quickly... I spent about $800 for my Campbell-Hausfield about 15 years ago and it is still going strong. I had a smaller single-stage roll around unit before and wish I had spent that money the first time on the dual-stage unit I have now.

Bill

nice dad Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:16 pm

BulliBill wrote: I would highly recommend that you do NOT buy a "single-stage" compressor, but step up to a "two-stage" compressor head on whatever size air storage tank you can afford. More initial expense, but produces much more cu. ft. a minute and will keep up and stay ahead of most tools, and not wear out as quickly... I spent about $800 for my Campbell-Hausfield about 15 years ago and it is still going strong. I had a smaller single-stage roll around unit before and wish I had spent that money the first time on the dual-stage unit I have now.

Bill

Awesome Bill thanks for the advice!

campingbox Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:26 pm

My 80 gallon 2-stage CH unit keeps up with my grinder, but just barely.

This thread might be better placed in the body & paint forum.

nice dad Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:52 pm

campingbox wrote: My 80 gallon 2-stage CH unit keeps up with my grinder, but just barely.

This thread might be better placed in the body & paint forum.

Cool how do you do that?

SuperSamba Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:10 pm

Moved.

Also check out this Compressor Sticky:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=169460

nice dad Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:54 pm

SuperSamba wrote: Moved.

Also check out this Compressor Sticky:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=169460

Awesome thank you! I did a search, probably in the wrong place.

nice dad Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:09 pm

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-hp-60-gallon-165-psi-two-stage-air-compressor-93274.html#.UxKf8PldWDU

Jake Hoff Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:04 am

Bought a larger compressor from harbor freight
Descent tank but they had the wrong pressure relief valve installed so it blew the valve anytime it came close to shutting off
Then after probably 20 hrs use the electric motor went out on it
Cheapest 5 hp motor I could find was from northern tool for 220.00 so after all was said and done I could have had a name brand compressor with a Dayton motor
I had over 1000.00 into after all this

Good ol harbor freight