TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Castle Nut wheel spacer problem
wack01 Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:52 pm

I just finished resealing my tranny and powder coating my axle tubes and new boots.
While I was in the process of torquing down the cast nut to 217 ft lbs I went to put the safety pin and I noticed that hole it goes through is only half way exposed. The other side (not pictured) has way less.

This is how far the axle protrudes when the drum is all the all way in

I did pull on the AXLES themselves a alot while working on it. Could something have slipped in the Ring and Pinion.

I believe I have at the axle spacers in the correct order. Though I can't remember if the inner spacer behind the wheel bearing was bevel in or out. But the new wheel bearing sits halfway outside axle tube which looks correct from other I looked at.
Any help thanks ?

chizucc Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:59 am

Was this picture taken after you torqued the axle nut? It looks like it needs a little more tightening...

wack01 Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:03 pm

Yep the picture is after I torque it down to 220 and didn't want to pass the torque specs for fear of striping the treads.

Mike Fisher Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:19 pm

Use a little thinner cotter pin if you have to.

wack01 Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:30 pm

I thought about that, but the only parts I changed were the axle seal kit (Mexican made) and the wheel bearings (Timken Korean made) .

And the big original cotter pin fit before I took everything apart.

Mike Fisher Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:39 pm

The work you did looks clean, so I'd bet it will be fine! :twisted:

chizucc Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:37 pm

Mike Fisher wrote: The work you did looks clean, so I'd bet it will be fine! :twisted:

x2

dont use the same cotter pin, get a new one.

HenrikL Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:00 am

The new castle nuts are sometimes of very low quality. Try with an original German one and see if the problem disappears.

jadney Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:45 am

chizucc wrote:

You didn't mention replacing this nut, but it's clearly new. Measure the distance from the mating plane to the bottom of the kerfs. Is it possible that this one just needs to be cut a bit deeper?

wack01 Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:16 pm

Problem solved I had the inner spacer backwards! CONCAVE side needs to face towards the transmission >.

I only took a few hours trying to get the new wheel bearing out again. :shock:

but success

Man I wish Haynes manual had better pictures, and I only have the Bentley for
70 and up damm.