TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Late wiper blades
KTPhil Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:09 pm

Well, now that our five inches of rain have come and gone, and I tried out Clemmie in the midst of the worst of it (no leaks, yay!), I noticed a problem with my 15" wiper blades.

I have read in other threads that the earlier models used 13" blades, and '71 (or was it '70?) and up use 15". But I noticed that my 15" blades overlapped the windshield seal, causing chafing and of course stopping them from working smoothly and covering the maximum area.

I don't remember having that problem before. Were the originals really 14", or perhaps were they mounted a little differently, i.e., with the mounting point further towards the far end, which would make them not hit the seal?

I may have an old OEM blade stashed on a box somewhere. The rubber would be shot but maybe I can see how they compare.

Anyone else using 15" blades on a late T3? Does your driver side hit the seal?

Donnie strickland Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:32 pm

Mine had 15s on it when I got it -- they overlapped the seal a lot. I mean, really bad. I bought some 13 inchers and put 'em on -- problem solved!

Dfasty Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:33 am

I would check the wiper arms. in 70 they were left and right specific

Mike Fisher Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:44 am

x2 as my wiper arms are slightly different lengths with 14" blades.

KTPhil Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:01 am

I have the original arms, but if you are running 14s then my 15s are just too long. I've ordered 13s from ISP West and we'll see how those fit.

Bobnotch Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:01 am

KTPhil wrote: I have the original arms, but if you are running 14s then my 15s are just too long. I've ordered 13s from ISP West and we'll see how those fit.

70 and earlier models used 13 inch blades. I'm not sure about the 71 on cars though, but I think they got 15's. If you're running into the seal with the left blade at the base of the windshield, then you need to re-set the arm up a little. Bentley covers the minimum distance that the blade should sit, as it's at that point where the wiper transmission actually over runs downward just a little before changing direction and parking (or continueing to sweep).
Just a heads up. :wink:

Donnie strickland Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:20 am

I'm guessing Phil was having the same problem I had -- if not, Phil please correct me.

The blades on my car when I got it were 15 inch. They didn't hit the seal at the base of the windshield; they were simply too long. With the wipers running, the left blade tip rode up over the seal at the top of the windshield, and the right blade rode over the seal at the right lower side of the windshield. Wiper arms and linkage are nice and tight, no slop anywhere. They are perfectly positioned per Bentley when parked. I bought a set of 13s at Wal-Mart and they work perfectly. I guess the original 15s were made a little differently so they wouldn't hit the seal?

KTPhil Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:02 pm

Bobnotch wrote: KTPhil wrote: I have the original arms, but if you are running 14s then my 15s are just too long. I've ordered 13s from ISP West and we'll see how those fit.

70 and earlier models used 13 inch blades. I'm not sure about the 71 on cars though, but I think they got 15's. If you're running into the seal with the left blade at the base of the windshield, then you need to re-set the arm up a little. Bentley covers the minimum distance that the blade should sit, as it's at that point where the wiper transmission actually over runs downward just a little before changing direction and parking (or continueing to sweep).
Just a heads up. :wink:

It's hitting at the top of the windshield.

FastyOrange Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:04 pm

I currently have 16" wipers on my 72 fastback. The drivers side wiper does hit the seal at the top of the windshield but only just slightly (so little contact that there is no visible impact on the performance of the wiper). If I'm remembering correctly, they are Bosch Micro Edge wipers and as far as I know, my wiper arms are original to the car.

KTPhil Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:07 pm

Okay, time to 'fess up. On a whim, I went out and measured my blades.

Despite all my packaging being labeled 15 inches, the blades are actually 16"! I will dig out my older units and measure those, too, but I bet this is the problem.

It's been dry in SoCal for two years and I stopped driving it in the rain a few years ago due to seal leaks. This is the first rain she's seen in maybe five years.

Mis-packaged years ago, maybe? Whatever, I'm glad I am on the path to better wipers.

I'll post an update when I find and fit the other 15 (hopefully!) units.