TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Fuse box /Headlight problem
pjbrick Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:15 pm

Hi everyone looking for graphic for fuse box for 82 westy diesel, Have problem with head lights I dont know which fuse is for high and low beams, also which color wire for low and high beams and how do they connect on fuse backside prongs,

Thanks in advance for your help

crazyvwvanman Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:18 pm

What problem are you having? There are 4 fuses for the headlights. 2 fuses for low and 2 fuses for high.

Mark

pjbrick wrote: Hi everyone looking for graphic for fuse box for 82 westy diesel, Have problem with head lights I dont know which fuse is for high and low beams, also which color wire for low and high beams and how do they connect on fuse backside prongs,

Thanks in advance for your help

pjbrick Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:26 pm

When I turn on lights only one comes on when in low setting then when i switch to high setting that one goes out and other lamp goes on. so at low i have one right lamp/passenger side
when switch to high driver side goes on and passenger lamp goes off,
has to be wires not connected right

I tried 2 new lamps same problem

geo_tonz Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:34 pm

An '82 but might help:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1982vanagon.php

pjbrick Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:37 pm

Thanks on owners manual even if i cant solve problem with it its awesome to have

geo_tonz Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:49 pm

No prob. Pg 46. Looks like 3-left low,4-right low,5-high left&indicator,6-high right.

pjbrick Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:16 pm

Yes looking at page 46 looks like it should help i at least know which fuse is for what

MarkWard Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:53 am

Last week there was a member with headlight problems. I suggested he make sure the bulbs were actually good by hotwiring them. Turned out the bulbs were burnt out both low and high. A bulb is easy enough to test with some wire and a battery.

rotaecho Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:31 pm

I'm having a similar problem. I was mucking putting a low/high beam headlight relay for the stock lights, and can't seem to get both low/high beams working with both bulbs only one bulb or the other.

Low-beams driver on and passenger off

High-beams driver off and passenger on

I'm looking at the Bentley 97.38 track 40-43, and it's just not clicking regarding the headlights.

On the fuse-panel S3-6 input power-in near the body of the van

S3 YW/BK 12ga low beam power (Left), bussed to
S4 low beam power (right)
S5 WT (12ga?) high beam power (left) bussed to
S6 high beam power, right

On the fuse-panel S3-6 output power-out, opposite end towards the body of the van

S3 YW Low beam left
S4 YW/BK Low beam right
S5 WT High beam left - and - BU/WT high beam indicator in dash
S6 WT/BK High beam right

This makes sense, but when I look at the actual panel it's not becoming clear.

I think I may be counting the input/output wrong.

In my mind S3 only has one wire (Yellow), then S4 has Two yellow-black. The one coming out of the firewall goes to S4 towards the van, and the yellow-black that comes from the steering harness goes to S4 towards the fuses (away from the van). Here is the photo of my setup, as a photo can tell a thousand words. I'm hoping someone can state which wires I should swap/switch to get this working.

Thanks for any insight Samba!

crazyvwvanman Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:09 pm

Take out all 4 headlight fuses. All 4.

Put in the key, turn it on. Turn on the headlights.

Measure the voltage at each end of all 4 fuse holders, write them down.

Flip the hi/lo switch to the other position.

The measurements must be done with the neg probe of the meter on bare metal of the van body or of a screw in the body.

What did you find?

Mark

thatvwbusguy Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:28 pm

It's hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like you have the wires that go out to power the headlights plugged into the trigger wires of the relays. If you reverse the wires to the relays, the relays won't function and you will only have power to one light through the stock (non-relayed) wiring.

Follow the yellow/black wire from the high/low beam selector switch and plug it into the male tab on the 14AWG (thinner) yellow wire on the relay wiring harness.

Next, take the 12AWG (thicker) yellow wire from terminal #87 on the relay harness and plug it into the lower (when the fuse block is in it's installed orientation) tab on the bridged connection of fuse #3&#4 (see photo below and remember that you are looking at the back of the fuse block, so #12 is on the left and #1 is on the right).

There should be a yellow/black wire going from the top of fuse #3 and a yellow wire from the top fuse #4 running out to the headlights. If your dash has ever been off, the wires out to the headlights might have been swapped at some point, but it won't matter.

Repeat this procedure for the high beam relay and you should be good to go.

PS - It looks like you are installing my relays. Why didn't you email me for the troubleshooting help I offer in the installation instructions?

rotaecho Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:08 pm

Using a Fluke 77 grounded lead to a screw hole on the body. Tested voltage against battery which was charged.

B = bottom end fuse
T = top end fuse

S3
T 0v
B 0.002v

S4
T 0.019v
B 0.002v

S5
T 0.029v
B 0.004v

S6
T 0v
B 0.004v

Thanks Mark!

crazyvwvanman wrote: Take out all 4 headlight fuses. All 4.

Put in the key, turn it on. Turn on the headlights.

Flip the hi/lo switch to the other position.

The measurements must be done with the neg probe of the meter on bare metal of the van body or of a screw in the body.

What did you find?

Mark

rotaecho Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:13 pm

Jay, I got my relay from:

http://t3technique.com/electrical/vanagon-headlight-relay-kits/

If that's you sorry, I don't see any support info on the document sent to me.

I'll give your suggestions a try when it cools down this evening.

Thanks!

thatvwbusguy wrote: It's hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like you have the wires that go out to power the headlights plugged into the trigger wires of the relays. If you reverse the wires to the relays, the relays won't function and you will only have power to one light through the stock (non-relayed) wiring.

Follow the yellow/black wire from the high/low beam selector switch and plug it into the male tab on the 14AWG (thinner) yellow wire on the relay wiring harness.

Next, take the 12AWG (thicker) yellow wire from terminal #87 on the relay harness and plug it into the lower (when the fuse block is in it's installed orientation) tab on the bridged connection of fuse #3&#4 (see photo below and remember that you are looking at the back of the fuse block, so #12 is on the left and #1 is on the right).

There should be a yellow/black wire going from the top of fuse #3 and a yellow wire from the top fuse #4 running out to the headlights. If your dash has ever been off, the wires out to the headlights might have been swapped at some point, but it won't matter.

PS - It looks like you are installing my relays. Why didn't you email me for the troubleshooting help I offer in the installation instructions?

thatvwbusguy Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:54 pm

Ahh, I knew that I recognized the connectors, but didn't consider that they could have come from T3 Technique. Christopher @ T3 Technique gets his relays from me.

If you hook up the wires as I describe in my previous post, you will be all set. The exact symptoms you describe are a common problem that is caused by reversed relay wiring on 80-85 vans.

rotaecho Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:29 pm

Dead on sir!

Thank you very much! :D

thatvwbusguy wrote: It's hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like you have the wires that go out to power the headlights plugged into the trigger wires of the relays. If you reverse the wires to the relays, the relays won't function and you will only have power to one light through the stock (non-relayed) wiring.