TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Rust Remover active ingredient? Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
bluekangaroo Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:48 pm

I am sure most of us have heard of and used Evapo-Rust to remove rust from parts and gas tanks. The stuff works great but is pricey if you use a lot of it.

Does anyone know what the active ingredient is? I understand that it is not an acid and removes rust via chelation. That is why it won't harm metal like acids will. The company says it is safe and non toxic so I am guessing it is maybe derived from plants of some type.

Anybody know anything about making your own batch of this safe and effective rust remover?

There is a similar product on the market....I just can't remember the name of it. I am sure it is the same active ingredient so it is not like trying to figure out KFC's 13 spices.

I have read about beet juice and molasses but I don't think that's it.

bluekangaroo Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:05 pm

The other chemical I was thinking of is called Metal Rescue. I think it uses the same active ingredient that Evapo-Rust uses.

zozo Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:12 pm

Phosphoric Acid if it's the same as JASCO.

Use in well ventilated area or with a proper mask.

bluekangaroo Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:19 pm

Nope. It is not an acid. It won't harm people, paint, aluminum, brass etc. It separates the rust from the metal through chelation. It is safe and non toxic........definately not phosphoric acid!

zozo Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:24 pm

Why not read the MSDS?

http://www.evapo-rust.com/product-info/technical-info/

bluekangaroo Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:34 pm

I did......so have others. Active ingredient is not listed. That is the reason for the post. Company won't reveal the active ingredient.

zozo Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:38 pm

If you know it works, why not just buy it and use it? What difference does it make what the active ingredient is?

EmpiGT Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:59 pm

I've been to the plant that makes evapo-rust. It is made here in my home town. There is a reason that they don't disclose the active ingredients. The inventor told me the process and that it is an enzyme but nothing more than that. They have to protect their secrets to keep people buying it from them. But it is really cool stuff. He has a huge vat of it and said anytime I needed to derust something just to bring it by. Really nice people.. he is also working on a formula to remove corrosion from aluminum and magnizium.

bluekangaroo Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:10 pm

Thanks for the reply. That is what I was wanting to do is have a 50 to 100 gallon tub in the corner of the garage to dunk parts like drums, exhaust, tanks etc. To buy the chemical to fill the tub would cost around 2k........so I thought if I could make the rust remover myself cheap enough a dunk tank would be feasible.

Ran When Parked Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:24 am

Here are two possible solutions.

http://frugalliving.about.com/od/cleaningtipsandrecipes/qt/Rust_Removers.htm

Here is a guy that, after wire wheeling the rust, uses vinegar water as a surface prep. He says that it turns, or neutralizes the rust, just like por15.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqff_BWVfDw

Would a big tub of vinegar work or a combo with Borax?

Post back your thoughts. I am curious if this information helps.

bluekangaroo Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:46 am

Thanks *bird for the videos. The Evapo-Rust doesn't really smell vinigery but it does turn the metal a dull grey to black in some areas. There is a video of a guy on you tube that purchased molasses for 17 cents a gallon at his local Ag feed store. The molasses takes about two weeks to remove rust. Evapo-Rust does the job in about 24 hours.

The previous poster said it was a enzyme. I will start researching plant enzymes and see what I come up with. As I said before there is more than one product on the market that does the same thing (just search YouTube) so its not like others don't know what the active ingredient in these non toxic rust removers that use a chelation to remove rust.

faster Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:57 am

Try this place. They sell it in a concentrate 1gal. makes 10 gal. and the price is very good. Not sure how well it works but you get alot for the money. www.rustdepot.com

bluekangaroo Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:00 am

Thanks faster...I will check it out.

bluekangaroo Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:09 am

Excellent link faster!!! Everyone interested in rust removal products should read it

Great find.....thanks again faster! :D

busdaddy Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:25 am

bluekangaroo wrote: I am sure most of us have heard of and used Evapo-Rust to remove rust from parts and gas tanks. The stuff works great but is pricey if you use a lot of it.

Does anyone know what the active ingredient is? I understand that it is not an acid and removes rust via chelation. That is why it won't harm metal like acids will. The company says it is safe and non toxic so I am guessing it is maybe derived from plants of some type.

Anybody know anything about making your own batch of this safe and effective rust remover?

There is a similar product on the market....I just can't remember the name of it. I am sure it is the same active ingredient so it is not like trying to figure out KFC's 13 spices.

I have read about beet juice and molasses but I don't think that's it.

bluekangaroo Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:39 am

I didn't know there were hillbillys in the UK. :lol:

cru62 Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:48 pm

bluekangaroo wrote: I didn't know there were hillbillys in AUS. :lol:

FIFY :wink: Be nice to our British cousins. They have to drive buses with checkered floors!

bluekangaroo Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:03 pm

:oops:

Wexford Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:16 am

Cru62 said:

Quote: FIFY Wink Be nice to our British cousins. They have to drive buses with checkered floors!

Yeah, but we know how to weld and restore and stuff properly :) :)

...nearly forgot...you have the Metal Surgeon...oh yeah, he's English :)

I see your chequered floor and raise you one hacked rear Jersey looker rear wheel well... :)

Good thread...my own rust remover of choice is near-pure Phosphoric acid, but it's hellishly expensive and nasty to work with in concentrate form. Does the job like nothing else I've tried over the last 6 years.

The good thing about molasses is that you can put it on your pancakes while it works on the rust....

cru62 Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:51 pm

Wexford wrote: Cru62 said:

Quote: FIFY Wink Be nice to our British cousins. They have to drive buses with checkered floors!

Yeah, but we know how to weld and restore and stuff properly :) :)

...nearly forgot...you have the Metal Surgeon...oh yeah, he's English :)

I see your chequered floor and raise you one hacked rear Jersey looker rear wheel well... :)

Good thread...my own rust remover of choice is near-pure Phosphoric acid, but it's hellishly expensive and nasty to work with in concentrate form. Does the job like nothing else I've tried over the last 6 years.

The good thing about molasses is that you can put it on your pancakes while it works on the rust....

Ouch, man! But in our defense there are few, if any, JLs being restored to their original JL condition. At least I hope so.

And thank you for themetalsurgeon!