TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Pinstriping paint question
flemcadiddlehopper Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:00 pm

I am planning on having some pinstriping done to my '67 Standard Bus. I want to more or less copy what the factory did to some early busses. Plus a few little tasteful extras here and there.

My question is did the factory use the same paint for the stripes as was painted on the body? Or was it a special pinstriping paint?

I would think that perhaps it is the same paint code, but not as reduced as much as the paint that is sprayed on.

input from someone who has some experience with this would be greatly appreciated. I want to have a bit of knowledge about this before I suggest it to my painter.

Thanks, Gordo.

kman Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:53 am

Usually just a high quality single stage paint. Pinstirping can be done freehand by a very skilled person, few can pull off a straight line. Usually the stripes are taped off (special pinstriping mask tape can be bought) the tape is best pulled off after the paint sets but before it fully hardens. Any painter worth the time should know what to do as duplicating factory pinstriping is common. Also pinstriping tape is easy to do but up close doesn't look as classy.

flemcadiddlehopper Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:51 am

Thanks for that. I am using Glasurit line 22 paint for the bus. I assume the striping should be done after the entire bus has been color sanded and buffed.

I thought the self-leveling qualities of the Glasurit line 22 would work well with pinstriping.

Gordo.